Breed & Gender Confusion

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of my friends bought this rabbit from a pet store and couldn't keep it so they gave it to me. The pet store couldn't sex it for her. I'm pitiful at it but I think it's a girl. I also wondered what breed it is. It is at least 5 months old.

EkFy42h.jpg

92SuiYR.jpg

LpvwZQr.jpg

SKUBh2I.jpg

mWFQHg4.jpg

eXoCBb1.jpg

pnptrapp

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Not sure what breed but definitely a doe. By 5 months you should easily be able to see a testicle if I was a buck.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad to hear she's a doe! I checked with my friend and she was labelled as a mini satin at the pet store.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Doe, It could be a mini satin/ something... but not full. I would say netherland dwarf mix before anything else.... I had some that looked like this that were netherland dwarf/ mini rex/ florida whites (long story on that mix).

Reactions: TAH

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Doe, It could be a mini satin/ something... but not full. I would say netherland dwarf mix before anything else.... I had some that looked like this that were netherland dwarf/ mini rex/ florida whites (long story on that mix).

I figured it was a mix because I can't find anything anywhere about mini satins having this color/pattern. It's called agouti, right?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep...it's a mix, but not sure which. I got the same color when breeding WNZ with a RNZ...every single kit came out that color.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That rabbit might have some Mini Satin in her, but if she does, she has a whole lot of something else in her as well!

Her type isn't a lot like a Mini Satin, and not at all like a Netherland Dwarf. She looks rather long and rangy, particularly her face and ears - I kinda suspect she might even have some English Spot in her, there's a fair amount of daylight under her in that picture by the cabinet. Mini Satins are only supposed to be about 4 pound rabbits, with compact, solid bodies. How much does she weigh? She just looks bigger than 4 pounds.

Her color, which is called Chestnut, is really neither here nor there. The Mini Satin is a new breed, so they can only be shown in a handful of colors. If I were to breed those colors together, I could come up with a whole bunch of unshowable colors - just 'cause you can't show 'em doesn't mean they don't happen.

The defining feature of the Mini Satin is its Satin coat. The Satin has a thinner cuticle on the hair shaft; the hair is slightly finer and has an almost glassy sheen. The color of a Satin is just a bit deeper, more intense, because of the thinner cuticle. I'm not seeing any of that on this rabbit, it just looks like normal hair on her.

So yep, gotta go with a mix on this one. Looks like she is well loved!