Breed?

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So the other day I bought 4 rabbits. I didn’t really need them. But here I am.

I was told they are a year old. I know the breed of 1 pair. But these 2 I was told are Californians. They are very small, maybe 3-4lbs. Very thin, if they are Cali’s then they are severely underweight.

I’m thinking Himalayan’s? I can try to get a better pic later.
C5C0F38A-D7B3-468E-86D3-A1CBC4E9ACAE.jpeg

Yes I know about the chicken wire needing replaced. This hutch came with them.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know, they definitely look like Californians to me. I know the two breeds are similar, but Californians are much more common.

When I had registered Californians, they would easily get thin as they put on frame too fast for their muscling and fat if I didn't feed free choice pellets, as compared to my New Zealand/Cali crosses that always kept condition easily.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
HimilayanRabbitWCR_AcS221Wc.jpg

Himalayan Rabbit.

If your rabbits have a mature weight of only 3-4 lbs, it sounds like they may be Himalayans. I'm not sure it would be possible to stunt a Californian so badly that it never grew larger than that; I suspect it would starve to death first. (Incidentally, the Himalayan was one of the foundation breeds from which the Californian was developed; the Himi not only gave the Cali its markings, but also its finer bone structure.)

Himalayans are the only breed posed stretched out like the rabbit above. They are supposed to have long, slender bodies, designed along the lines of a Dachshund or maybe a weasel. They have long, weasel-y faces too, and when hopping around, show a lot of daylight underneath.

Himalayan.jpg

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ll go get another pic. The female is very thin regardless of breed, she’s chewed the hair off her hind legs.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
HimilayanRabbitWCR_AcS221Wc.jpg

Himalayan Rabbit.

If your rabbits have a mature weight of only 3-4 lbs, it sounds like they may be Himalayans. I'm not sure it would be possible to stunt a Californian so badly that it never grew larger than that; I suspect it would starve to death first. (Incidentally, the Himalayan was one of the foundation breeds from which the Californian was developed; the Himi not only gave the Cali its markings, but also its finer bone structure.)

Himalayans are the only breed posed stretched out like the rabbit above. They are supposed to have long, slender bodies, designed along the lines of a Dachshund or maybe a weasel. They have long, weasel-y faces too, and when hopping around, show a lot of daylight underneath.

Himalayan.jpg

I had Californians growing up that I bred and showed in 4H. These 2 that I have are about the size of 10 week olds but not as filled out.

Latest posts