Breeding a horse

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have wanted a horse all of my (short) life, but i've been thinking - I've been working with horses for so long, almost all of my life since I had the chance, and in addition I have been exposed to breeding/foals before, once I (my family) has the land and I pick out a nice jumper/dressage horse, I would love to bring in a broodmare who has been injured but has a great potential to be a broodmare. What are your takes on breeding horses of great lines? I have a knack for picking out the flaws and the pros of a horse, luckily, so its not like I would get a run down mare and breed with a high priority stallion. What do you think on breeding in general? Obviously there are great horses at auction, but not only does breeding give you experience, but the chance to combine bloodlines and credit yourself for making a champion (hopefully!), in my opinion. :)

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if you have the finances and resources, go for it (jmo)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
The mare gives the most to the foal, so pick the mare wisely. Know why she broke down so you are not breeding the tendency to break down. Know that by the time you know whether or not this horse will be champion material you will have invested thousands in it to bring it to age 4 or 5 or 6 before you know its full potential, even on your own property.....so do it for love, not for money!

I've brought several horses from the womb to the show ring and it is intensely satisfying. The best athletes tend to come from younger mares (statistically) and depending on the sport, from lead mares.

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Go for it! If you have the resources to keep a great line going, then do it! Make sure the mare is as quality as the stallion, which is not what many people think about. Pick a reputable stallion with good lines that will mix welll with the mare. Breed for a good tempered, nicely built foal with talent, intelligence, and athelectism to boot! I am breeding my Quarter Horse mare next Spring probably. I'm stud hunting and I have a few good ones in mind. Im willing to spend the money to breed to a good stallion so I have a good quality foal that won't be hard to sell for a good buck incase I must sell for some reason. Think about it and choose wisely, and good luck! Its always fun to have a foal around! :D

Latest posts