Breeding for Mules

TexasHorses10

Just born
Reaction score
I am thinking about breeding my Registered Arab to a donkey? to get a mule.. can anyone give me anymore information? would i be best to breed her with a Mammoth jack? Or would a regular size donkey work? What would be my best bet?

Any and all info would be great

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Probably depends on what exactly you're going to use the mule for. There's a number of Arab-mules that do endurance riding and do quite well. All the ones I've seen have been small, about 12hh so they are probably breeding to standard. A Mammoth would give you a larger, stockier animal.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What she said. Whatcha want to DO with the mule? Seems to me that would determine what size you want and therefore what size stud you want to breed to.

I've never known an Arab mule personally, but I used to know someone who'd known one and talked (favorably) about it quite a lot.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no experience breeding for mules, but I do know some folks who do. Here are a few things that they have told me:

While most jacks will accept a mare, not every mare will accept a jack.

Jacks are rough breeders, really rough. Hopefully the jack's owner knows this, and will do what is necessary to protect your mare.

Some mares may breed to a jack, but just don't ever settle. Mule fetuses are more likely to be spontaneously aborted than horse fetuses. Mule foals are often surprisingly leggy, so are a little bit more likely to get tangled up and need assistance when entering the world.

Mule foals smell very different from horse foals, and are more likely to be rejected by the mare (especially first time mothers).

BUT! If none of the above things go wrong (I believe in preparing for the worst, so I am often relieved when everything goes right), you wind up with an animal that is uncannily smart, remembers everything that ever happened to it, and can be amazingly loyal. I have been owned by a mini mule for 4 years. Learning to see the world through the wise eyes of a mule has been a revelation!

oldbag855

Just born
Reaction score
I would agree that it depends on what you want a mule for. Riding, driving or both?
I have a mule that is out of a Mustang, very gentle and licks you like a dog, and a standard size burro. He is about 14 hands. He's very smart and very agile. He is to be my saddle mule.
I have a Mini mule out of a Mini Paint and the same burro. She is a pistol to say the least. She takes after her mother who is very spirited almost to the point of being obnoxious! She is a type B mini. She is stout and VERY strong. She is for driving.
Each of them take after their mother.

My next one, I would like to have from a mammoth. I would love to breed my Arab with one. As she has the best disposition and a very good confirmation.

I LOVE my mules. They are very smart. I still believe they were the first HYBRID with all-hoof drive.

oneforthemoney

Just born
Reaction score
Generally speaking, mules from standard jacks have more refined heads than mules from mammoth jacks. BUT, you'll get (probably) a bigger mule when breeding your mare to a mammoth jack.

I've only ever seen one mule from an arab/donkey cross.... it was a darling, cute little thing, but was spoiled rotten and wasn't worth a darn. :( If this is your first foray into dealing w/mules I'd do some research and maybe even buy an older, already-trained mule before I did any breeding. You can learn about mules and how they think/react/respond and then you'll be light years ahead when you do get that mule foal on the ground.

Being experienced in horses does not make you ready to train a mule baby! Ask me how I know this. <lolol>

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
oneforthemoney said:
Generally speaking, mules from standard jacks have more refined heads than mules from mammoth jacks. BUT, you'll get (probably) a bigger mule when breeding your mare to a mammoth jack.

I've only ever seen one mule from an arab/donkey cross.... it was a darling, cute little thing, but was spoiled rotten and wasn't worth a darn. :( If this is your first foray into dealing w/mules I'd do some research and maybe even buy an older, already-trained mule before I did any breeding. You can learn about mules and how they think/react/respond and then you'll be light years ahead when you do get that mule foal on the ground.

Being experienced in horses does not make you ready to train a mule baby! Ask me how I know this. <lolol>
I have to agree. Research AND Experience is THE tool for success in raising, maintaining and breeding ANY type of livestock. And mixing breeds without know and experiencing BOTH breeds IMHO is very irresponsible.

Though you might LIKE to have this because it's UNIQUE, it's not right to CREATE it without KNOWING all you can to PROTECT what you created.

IMHO, livestock is there for us to protect. Not there for amusement sake. Creating a different breed happens all the time, but knowing what you create won't hurt the animal is what needs to be the focus.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts