Breeding my Holstein/Jersey

jbarsfarms

Just born
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a new Dexter cow her steer and the owner knows that she has 1 -2 straws of mini Herford semen left that I get got everything for $350 plus 2 old ewes. My Holstein/Jersey is due to calve Nov. 1 and was thinking about breeding her to the mini Herford. The other possibility I have are a Dexter/Angus/Herford bull I may be getting. Or do you think I would be better off breeding my 39" Dexter to the mini Herford?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Neither !!! Using the mini would be going backwards . That possible bull would NOT be cost effective ( too much feed and the need for separate secure housing just to use on one cow. not to mention bulls can be very dangerous especially for one that is not used to handling bulls ). I would go the AI route using semen from polled Angus or Hereford bull. :bun

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree do not get the bull unless you plan on cutting him right away and butchering in a few months. I would not even consider having a bull unless I had at least 15 cows for him and very secure fencing.
If you already have the Mini Hereford seman I would keep it for the Dexter as long as you have a way to keep it. As far as the Jersey/holstein cow, if you want a more meat type calf, go with Angus, if your looking for another milk calf, then go with Jersey. It is much safer and more cost effective to AI your cows than to keep a bull.

BHOBCFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Size of the bull should be considered for ease of calving. I personally wouldn't use a full size or large bull on a miniature cow, especially if it's a first time bred heifer. AI is the best, but consider buying semen from a smaller breed bull.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just make sure that the semen is properly stored. I have heard that some people think it's OK to store it in a deep freeze set as low as it will go. Semen needs to be stored in liquid nitrogen, and only taken out of the tank for less than 8 seconds, or the sperm will crack and die. Of course, thawing it just before using it is OK, as long as it's put into the cow within 15 minutes.