Breeding Questions

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1. When do you think is the soonest time to breed back a doe after she kids, as long as you will wait a year from that point the next year you breed?

2. I know their are different factors people look for before determining their does are ready to breed, but when you feel a doe is ready what weight is she typically at?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really don't know
I think it's more conditioning than weight
We have one we talked about breeding back after 3 months but we never got around to it but the main reason was because she didn't have a kid last year and was kind of fat

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I really don't know
I think it's more conditioning than weight
We have one we talked about breeding back after 3 months but we never got around to it but the main reason was because she didn't have a kid last year and was kind of fat
I was wanting to possibly breed back a fat doe after 5-6 months post birth.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that would be fine.

As far as weight, for the first breeding a like a minimum of 50# for nigies and 100# for lamanchas and Nubians. Probably a bit larger for Saanens I would imagine. I really look at rump width. I tell people- look at the doe and if it would be impossible for you to get your hand in the doe she needs more time ;) Most goats kid without an issue, but when there is an issue, you need to be able to assist.

I do however have a few does that grow very slowly. Sometimes while a doe is pregnant it can "kickstart" her again and cause more growth (for FF's)
My doe Leah was like this. She was around 45# at kidding. Even though I waited almost 2 years to breed her, she really flourished during and after her pregnancy.