Breeding questions

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have a buck who I was breeding with two does but one of my does died (predator related) I was thinking since my other doe has five kits I might keep a kit from her to breed to him when I figure out which ones female. I intend to use them for meat. I could buy another doe I was also thinking about doing that. My current buck is show quality my current doe is not. I had thought to add a show quality doe but I have to wait on that. ThoughtS?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
are you askng if you should keep a doe to breed back to her father?
if so I don't see any problem in line breeding. in fact have 2 litters of a grandson/grandmother breeding very happy with the results

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes I know you can't breed siblings I just forget if father and daughter are okay.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes I know you can't breed siblings I just forget if father and daughter are okay.
Actually, you can bred siblings in an attempt to lock in desirable traits, but you can also lock in some undesirable ones as well. I had a whoops! when we thought a doe was a buck and she was impregnated buy her brother(s). Not a problem.

Many breeders prefer father to daughter, mother to son, or half-siblings, and further out like uncle to niece and so on.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooooooo ok yeah I just want fat healthy rabbits lol at this point I just breeding for family meat.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
When can you sex them mine came sexed I had to reset so I knew who was who but when do you sex for the first time?

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I usually know their sexes at two to three weeks and mark their ears with numbers, because I weigh each one about once a week starting at three weeks, but you can wait until they are weaned. Kind of depends how hands on you want to be and how you manage your rabbitry.