1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding questions

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by BunnyTree, Mar 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM.

1. Mar 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    BunnyTree

BunnyTree Chillin' with the herd

I bred my Netherland dwarf doe with a Netherland dwarf buck. Everything went well with the breeding. On day 30 she delivered 3 babies. Unfortunately she delivered them outside of the nest and they were all separated, they were all to cold and died. Her first litter that she had last summer went really well with 5 kits all healthy. I had to sell the buck that I bred her with for this pregnancy and the only buck I have at the moment is a mini lop. I would like to breed them but I am just concerned that he is to big and that the kits will be to large for her to deliver. Is that a legitimate concern? She looks pretty big for a Netherlands dwarf but she only feels 2.5 to 3 pounds. The mini lop (buck) seems maybe 5 to 5.5 pounds ( I don't have a scale so I am not sure exactly how much they weight, and I could totally be guessing there weights wrong) Should I go ahead and breed them?

2. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

I know some would say it would be ok with that.... but with the big bulldog head of the mini lop I would definitely have concerns of them not being able to be born.

Also to what end? Cross bred bunnies are only good as pets or meat....

3. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    BunnyTree

BunnyTree Chillin' with the herd

Ok, thank you so much for letting me know! I am considering purchasing a lop doe to breed with my buck. I am having trouble finding Mini Lops and I was wondering if I bred my Mini Lop buck with a Holland Lop doe, would that be okay because they have the "bulldog" head also, or is the size difference still to much...Thanks :)