1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

breeding

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by Kathy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Nov 15, 2018
    Kathy

Kathy Chillin' with the herd

I would like to breed my beautiful Boer girl and am not sure of the process (yes, I know she needs a male...lol) but at what age is appropriate and if I only have wethers how do you go about finding a male to breed her?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Kathy

2. Nov 15, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You could contact the breeder you got her from and possibly they will have a buck to service her.
    If registered and or you want a registered animal you can look through your registry.
    Age/weight are considerations but also body capacity and hip width are important. Many say 80# and 8 months... but there is no fast rule that applies to every goat.
    Look for a breeder and consult with them if you are unsure.
    You also will need to know testing status of your goat and the buck you want to breed to. Look at documentation, don't take someone's word for it.