Bringing "the beef" home today...

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I call it "the beef" because even though our steers been butchered we still call him by his name :lol: We're just weird like that. We had Harvey (my avatar pic) butchered about 2 weeks ago. It cost us $286 for 588lbs of beef. Not a bad price! We didn't even have to pay to feed him, our neighbors feed him for us :celebrate We saved $100 by wrapping the meat ourselves and then we had it flash froze.

It will be nice to be supplied with beef for at least a year :) If there's enough room in the freezer we're going to pick up a pig also :clap

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Well, that is one thing off your plate (or is it on ;) ) as a fall chore. I didn't realize that butchers would let you wrap your own beef. The places around here will only butcher if they do all the wrapping and freezing.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's weird that they don't give you the option to wrap your own meat. I liked being involved for the whole process. Our butcher is a great guy. He gives everyone free bones for the dogs.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Harvey was 28 months old. The butcher thought he was a Brown Swiss/Jersey cross. He probably would've put on more weight if he didn't have such a rough start. He was on the bottle until he was 4 months and didn't learn to eat grass/hay and grain until then also. I literally had to put his food in his mouth in order for him to learn how to eat.

CrimsonRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We used to to all the processing when I was a little girl... I lived on my grandparents farm and we had a little assembly line going I was at the end with the tape to seal up the waxpaper that we wrapped it in...

We always named our critters too even the meat rabbits... I never will forget eating bacon for breakfast and grandma asking "so how's Porky?" :lol:

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bheila said:
Harvey was 28 months old. The butcher thought he was a Brown Swiss/Jersey cross. He probably would've put on more weight if he didn't have such a rough start. He was on the bottle until he was 4 months and didn't learn to eat grass/hay and grain until then also. I literally had to put his food in his mouth in order for him to learn how to eat.
Thank you for the info. Ours are 7 months old. We were told Jersey x Angus but to me look holstein. Ours are fat little devils cuz thier human spoils them. Ours are called Tbone and Sirloin, lol :)

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No matter what kind of animal we're raising for meat we always give them names. We feel just as much love for them as we do ours cats and dogs. They just serve a different purpose.

CrimsonRose-We always involve our children in every part of the butchering process as much as possible. When Harvey was butchered our 3yr old was there right along side of me.