Broken Tractor...

SunwoodFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my husband was mowing the pasture and one of the front wheels broke off. Literally sheared off. It's an IH Case 234 (mid 80's, came with the house). He called a few Case dealers and there is ONE used part available in the US, nothing new. We'd like to sell the whole tractor and get a zero turn mower instead. What do you do with these types of deals? He had one person who was interested, but changed his mind because he didn't want to part out a tractor that indeed works, just has a broken part. Do people buy broken tractors? (the middle is where it broke)

xbwhso.jpg
znobpl.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is the reason why so many farms have old broken down machinery just "parked" out in the back 40 someplace... No easy way to repair them and no easy way to get rid of them. Aside from buying the one existing used part and fixing it THEN selling it as a working tractor, I don't know what options are available... You might could contact an experienced welder and see if they could "manufacture" a replacement part for you. Not sure... Good luck!

SunwoodFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of! lol At least it's tucked in the barn, so not an eye sore. Until I get horses again, or convince hubby to say yes to goats anyway.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a similar issue on our tractor but have a CNC Machine on our property for our engineering company and my partner and I both weld so we could fix it easily. That would be the route I'd attempt to take if possible. At least where I am, it is hard to sell non-working tractors but when we were searching for ours, we had a hard time finding working ones! Might be best to try and fix it? I'd look for a small machine shop that has a CNC and a welder. The smaller business will give you a better rate for manufacturing or repairing that part then the big machine shops. Good luck!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any machinery auctions out your way? Because of its age and condition I would auction it off as an AS IS. Either that or scrap it. But I am always shocked how much things go for at auction.

Latest posts