Broody hen day 23

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like broody hens I put 10 eggs under them. We pull the chicks as they hatch untill the last one hatches then shove them all back under. Last year we were 39/40 that lived to be sold as starting pullets or roos. I like the roos better I can take them to auction and make twice what u get out of a pullets.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I was just looking for an incubator and found one at tractor supply. My boys and I just checked on the girls again and my 2 broody girls swapped nests. Is this normal?

Yep.....you may also find both on the same nest and the other nest left to the cold. That can also happen if you house them together and one hatches chicks but the other has not yet.....often they will get off the nest and try to mother the other hen's chicks, there will be fighting between them and they will eventually split the chicks or just mother them together, but the other nest of eggs will go abandoned. Been there, done all of that.

Best to separate those girls and give each defined space. If you want to join them after all chicks have hatched it won't hurt a thing, but I wouldn't have them together while sitting the eggs.

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok I got the incubator but I read I need to increase humidity and stop turning the eggs at 3 days to hatch but I have no clue what stage any of the eggs are at so what level do you recommend I should have the humidity at and to turn or not to turn??

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like broody hens I put 10 eggs under them. We pull the chicks as they hatch untill the last one hatches then shove them all back under. Last year we were 39/40 that lived to be sold as starting pullets or roos. I like the roos better I can take them to auction and make twice what u get out of a pullets.
Wow..no one wants the Roos here...I can’t buy a pullet anywhere!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok I got the incubator but I read I need to increase humidity and stop turning the eggs at 3 days to hatch but I have no clue what stage any of the eggs are at so what level do you recommend I should have the humidity at and to turn or not to turn??
These are such tough questions..I started a hatch last week..screwed up royally!! My temp went wayyyy too high...up to 103.8, couldn’t get it down, humidity was too low...48%..couldnt get it up...then, last night...after five days of stress..I realized...I didn’t have the egg turner plugged in!! Ughhhhh!! I had to throw the whole batch of my little guys that I’ve been loving on, all away!! Restarting....but, getting the Bator set up RIGHT this time..first!! I had went to BYC, for help...ugh again. Sooo much conflicted advice. Had my head spinning. I finally asked my friend who’s done million hatches...she’s going to talk me through this one... :fl :love

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ahh it’s all so finicky and stressful! Let me know what your friend says. I am at a complete loss and am praying I didn’t just spend all this money on the incubator or nothing!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

Just keep it steady at the regular humidity, don't worry too much about turning too often, just every now and again and play it by ear. You may lose some, but you are bound to lose some if you don't incubate, so it is what it is.

Let this be a learning time....next time you get a broody and want to hatch out chicks, get her to her own place and load her up with eggs so you won't have all these headaches. Broodies will give you headaches enough without adding to it. :D =D

Latest posts