Broody hen day 23

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a hen that went broody for a while and after about almost 2 weeks of sitting on her eggs my son mistakenly took her eggs and we weren’t sure which ones they were so got rid of the whole basket.
she laid some more eggs as did some of the other chickens in the same box and she is still in that same box. It has been 24 days since my son took her last batch of eggs soi figure it is day 22 or 23 since she laid? When do we force her to get up and give up? We have 2 roosters so I’m sure they are fertilized right? There is no way to candle them without removing the eggs from the coop which I’d rather not do

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Will she reject them when I go to put them back? Do I need to be sure how I place them back under her?

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Will she reject them when I go to put them back? Do I need to be sure how I place them back under her?
Collect them, and stick a couple fresh under her. So she has something. Candle the ones she was sitting on and mark them before putting them back. That way no mix up. I've done this several times with no problems

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a hen that went broody for a while and after about almost 2 weeks of sitting on her eggs my son mistakenly took her eggs and we weren’t sure which ones they were so got rid of the whole basket.
she laid some more eggs as did some of the other chickens in the same box and she is still in that same box. It has been 24 days since my son took her last batch of eggs soi figure it is day 22 or 23 since she laid? When do we force her to get up and give up? We have 2 roosters so I’m sure they are fertilized right? There is no way to candle them without removing the eggs from the coop which I’d rather not do

She didn't lay more after you took her last batch....when a chicken is broody, she no longer lays eggs. What you have is a nest filled with eggs at all stages by chickens laying in the nest she's in, so there's no telling when any of them will hatch. It won't be all at the same time, as eggs have been laid in it each day for 2 wks.

You need to separate her into a place where no other chickens can keep laying fresh eggs in her nest if you want her to hatch out any. Then, give her fresh eggs, as many as you want her to hatch, and start all over. It won't hurt her a bit to sit that long, she will get up and eat and drink if she needs to do so if you have it available in her broody area.

If you leave the eggs she currently has under her, you will have a few hatch out and after a day or so, she will get off the rest of the eggs to start mothering the few that hatched....the rest will then die. If you put them in an incubator, you will have a staggered hatch and will be trying to raise chicks of all ages....if that doesn't bother you, you can do that.

Or, as she hatches the chicks, you can remove them to a brooder until she hatches ALL the eggs....which could take a few weeks or so, then put all the chicks back in with her during the night. She would likely mother them all but if you have a free range situation, the younger chicks won't be able to keep up with the older ones and the hen will not likely wait for them to keep up.

Best when you can identify a broody early on, separate her into an area other hens can't reach and give her a whole clutch to sit so they are all hatched at the same time. Just works out much better for her, for you and for the chicks.

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She didn't lay more after you took her last batch....when a chicken is broody, she no longer lays eggs. What you have is a nest filled with eggs at all stages by chickens laying in the nest she's in, so there's no telling when any of them will hatch. It won't be all at the same time, as eggs have been laid in it each day for 2 wks.

You need to separate her into a place where no other chickens can keep laying fresh eggs in her nest if you want her to hatch out any. Then, give her fresh eggs, as many as you want her to hatch, and start all over. It won't hurt her a bit to sit that long, she will get up and eat and drink if she needs to do so if you have it available in her broody area.

If you leave the eggs she currently has under her, you will have a few hatch out and after a day or so, she will get off the rest of the eggs to start mothering the few that hatched....the rest will then die. If you put them in an incubator, you will have a staggered hatch and will be trying to raise chicks of all ages....if that doesn't bother you, you can do that.

Or, as she hatches the chicks, you can remove them to a brooder until she hatches ALL the eggs....which could take a few weeks or so, then put all the chicks back in with her during the night. She would likely mother them all but if you have a free range situation, the younger chicks won't be able to keep up with the older ones and the hen will not likely wait for them to keep up.

Best when you can identify a broody early on, separate her into an area other hens can't reach and give her a whole clutch to sit so they are all hatched at the same time. Just works out much better for her, for you and for the chicks.
This makes so much sense. Thank you! We should have some hatch soon I am assuming if she’s been in there on someone’s eggs for 23 ish days though right? I guess there is no telling if the early ones took though. Ah!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
This makes so much sense. Thank you! We should have some hatch soon I am assuming if she’s been in there on someone’s eggs for 23 ish days though right? I guess there is no telling if the early ones took though. Ah!
You might want to borrow an incubator and finish them off in a bator, then give them all to her as they hatch if you don't want to lose most of them to her getting off the nest to mother the first few. Candle them all, give her the ones closest to hatching, incubate the rest and give them to her at night as each one hatches. That would be the least stressful solution.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second what beekissed said. Incubator is your friend in this situation. I had a few that after three hatched they decide when those dried they were done sitting but hard close to ten more to hatch thankfully I was able to move under another hen. Who finished them off along with hers but i did have one that nearly didn't make it because it was mid hatch when momma left it so the chick got cold as soon as it popped out i end up saving it but barely

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I was just looking for an incubator and found one at tractor supply. My boys and I just checked on the girls again and my 2 broody girls swapped nests. Is this normal?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had it happen a few times I also had girls that two sit on one nest.

Latest posts