kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know there were several on BYC and I had one asking questions about my girl so I figured I'd start one here.

Anyone have any broodies currently? Did you let them hatch anything? Any cute pictures of hens with chicks perhaps? :D

Anything broody related here.

I have one that has been broody for like a week haha I keep taking her off the nest and even tried to get her to free range one day and forget about it but nooooo.

I finally just bought a wire crate today so I am planning on using that and hoping it works.

However, I'm building a new coop and run so when I move them in there where there's more room I might let her actually hatch something.

wishing4wings

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have 3 that are broody and hogging the nest boxes... been a couple of months now. Last year I got my cuckoo Orp 3 chicks to raise. It was her first time. She loved them! Not sure what I'm going to do with her, and the other 2, this year. No more room for more chickens, so can't give them chicks. It sure is fun watching mama raise the babies, though.
DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Awwww they're so cute!!

Maybe you could sell the chicks? That's what I'm planning on doing, or keeping a couple.

I'm assuming you've tried breaking them and they won't go, huh?

wishing4wings

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I haven't had time to try breaking them yet. Besides, we are having problems with jays eating eggs, so the broodies do a good job covering them up and saving a few every day. I have trouble selling chicks... don't like letting go. Kind of a wimp that way.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Always love me a broody and baby photo. Pretty cute!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are sweet pics!!!! I love seeing the chicks loving on Mama.

I have two sitting right now and one with a brood of 5 out on the land. I don't have any good pics from this year's brooding but plenty from years past.

This one had her chicks in our wood pile....

100_4584.jpg

This one took hers to the roost at a good, young age....

100_4676.jpg

100_4678.jpg

100_3295.jpg
100_2179.jpg

100_3194.jpg

These two shared parenting and took turns...

100_3278.jpg

100_3283.jpg

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my goodness..that one with them on the roost made me chuckle right out loud!

Duckling and Spider

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have three broodies a week apart. Well, due a week apart.
I broke a broody about a month ago. Then a mama from last year went. I wasn't going to brood. Then the turkey went. :\ Not sure how you fight a broody turkey. So the chicken has two chicken eggs, and the turkey had (down to one) two duck eggs.
Then the second broody from last year went broody. Her eggs are being taken.
I hope for the one duck egg to hatch to keep the turkey happy. If the chicken hatches both, I feel comfortable offering one to the new broody despite her only being a week along by that point.
Btw, the two chickens ended up co-brooding last year. It was so cool!!

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I gave my Bitty bantam chicks last year. She is a super good mama. I gave her chicks again this year.
Now I have a BA that is solid and has been setting for a month almost. I am getting a couple chicks for her today. If she had only done this earlier she could have raised the ordered chicks! o_O

Now I will have way to many so will be forced to sell some. Hard to do as I too am a wimp. (Mostly I worry after they are gone)

Latest posts