1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

brown grass as far as I can see.....

Discussion in 'Everything Else Cattle' started by greybeard, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Feb 20, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

With your herd that has some dairy influence, I bet they taste and eat as good as any.
    Yeah, I leave some on the table when I sell, by not having uniformity, but I haven't had that since way back when we raised polled Herefords and I'm not much of a joiner or fad/color chaser anyway.
    It's all about inputs here, and as little as possible, both in $$ and time. (time is the real killer...it will eat you up and spit you out.
    I want a bull that will cover everything and not miss.
    I want live calves, not have to drag out the calf jack and the momma breed right back.
    Heavy weaners, on momma's milk and my grass and a little hay and a few cubes.
    What I lack in uniformity, I have to be able to make up on the scales without spending a fortune putting on those extra lbs.

I really liked the smokies I got out of my old char/sim bull on my BM cows, but that bull kicked the bucket last winter, so I went the other way this time, with a cheap beefmaster bull because I'll be selling everything out this year sometime to move back West. Makes for some different patterns, but I just don't care. Took this today with my old flip phone:
    3calves.jpg

RollingAcres likes this.