brown grass as far as I can see.....

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
With your herd that has some dairy influence, I bet they taste and eat as good as any.
Yeah, I leave some on the table when I sell, by not having uniformity, but I haven't had that since way back when we raised polled Herefords and I'm not much of a joiner or fad/color chaser anyway.
It's all about inputs here, and as little as possible, both in $$ and time. (time is the real killer...it will eat you up and spit you out.
I want a bull that will cover everything and not miss.
I want live calves, not have to drag out the calf jack and the momma breed right back.
Heavy weaners, on momma's milk and my grass and a little hay and a few cubes.
What I lack in uniformity, I have to be able to make up on the scales without spending a fortune putting on those extra lbs.

I really liked the smokies I got out of my old char/sim bull on my BM cows, but that bull kicked the bucket last winter, so I went the other way this time, with a cheap beefmaster bull because I'll be selling everything out this year sometime to move back West. Makes for some different patterns, but I just don't care. Took this today with my old flip phone:
3calves.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The grass ain't brown no more.
DSC00402.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00400.JPG

Waiting for me to get the gate open and go into the yard...,
DSC00399.JPG

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you definitely moving west? Why? Less water in west Texas. As a southern Californian first consideration is water. Although looking at the weather news this morning it looks like you are getting almost too much water. I guess there is such a thing depending on where you live, the contours of your property and the soil.