Brown Sheeps 2015 Lambing

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Well, it looks like its that time a year again and everybody is putting up lambing threads so I might as well jump in.

This year was a major fencing extravaganza at our farm. This included taking down the pasture the rams usually summer in. So, the rams have been hanging with the girls since March....That's right March!
We have, pretty much, finished fencing for the year. At the moment we don't have the option of splitting into breeding groups so it's a free for all as to who is breeding who so I'll just give you the run down on the rams.

First, and foremost in our hearts, is Henry. An ornery devil advertised as a suffolk which he is not. Henry is, to the best of our knowledge, a horned dorset. I can't remember how old he is at the moment, some where between 4-5. The likelihood that Henry got any action is looooow. He got the snot beat out of him back at the beginning of September. He was also wormed with Valbazen which can cause temporary infertility.

Next, is Eli. Eli is a ramboulliet and the largest of our rams. He probably runs about 300lbs and his head is level with my shoulder. He is 3-4 I would guess about 75% of the lambs will be his.

Penultimately, is Black ram....He's is , if you haven't guessed, black. He's not a huge animal but he is still a young thing, going on two this winter. He is Eli's son and is a suffolk x rambouillet. He's a nice looking fella and turns out a good moderate sized lamb. He will probably sire the other 25% of lambs. He's a randy guy and is a real busy body with the ladies.... Eli hates him.

Lastly is Little Ram. He is also a Eli prodigy. He's not a super small guy and is comparable in size to Black Ram, but he is just kind of "eh". I will actually push to either send him to the sale or butchers when we take the market lambs. He hasn't been actively seeking ewes, which you have to with Eli around. He is the bottom of our totem pole so probably won't sire much if anything as far as lambs go.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like quite the line-up there! Can you post pics? Eli sounds like an impressive fella!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I'm sorry I missed this!
I won't be home again until Thanksgiving and dont have any good photos. To give you an idea how old my photos of him are, in my profile pic Eli is the ram in the rear. He is about a year old there.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Our first lambs were born today.
Two white ram lambs they were born to a first time black ewe. She doesn't want anything to do with them. Of course my parents are suppose to leave town tomorrow. If she doesn't get with the program we might end up giving the lambs away to my old 4-H leader.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got so excited first reading this and then boom... I am sorry she isn't taking them. Is she in shock? Was it a hard labor/delivery? Are you home on break... I hope she takes them, but glad you have a back up plan. :hugs

Congrats on the lambs! :)

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
My dad got home right as she passed the after birth. Both of them were cleaned off so I don't think it was too difficult.
I think it is mainly do to being a first time and the fact they are a different color than her. I don't know about the other sheep but with my sheep when the lambs differ in color from the mother about 1/3 of the time they will reject them.

I'm not home yet. If they had waited a week my sister and I would only be a day or two away from being home but alas.
My parents are actually headed up to see me. It's my birthday tomorrow so they're going to come party hardy with me ( aka dinner, a movie, and some shopping). There is a chance they would bring them up and bottle feed them at a relatives house but the real issue is just the demand of feeding them for the next week and a half until we get home.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:love Now that is adorable!

I have heard that before, probably on here somewhere as far as them being a different color and being rejected.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
:weee :weee :weee :weee

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've had that happen a couple times. A black ewe tried to reject her white lambs. We fooled her by putting them in dark colored coats.