Bruce's Journal

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yup, that works extremely well also, but said option is pretty much off the table for Bruce. He has "sensitive" family members... :idunno

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, and at this point even without those "restrictions" I think the only way I could take down a loose chuck would be to lie in wait in a ghilly suit. Dang things are gone soon as they hear me.

I put the trap next to the new tunnel entrance in the lower part of the little barn with some peanuts last night. This morning, nada. So I've put some cantaloupe in there with a trail. MAYBE I'll have a chuck tomorrow? Cantaloupe is supposed to be a "can't miss" bait.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe these are distant relatives of the previous ones you removed and they're on to you?
Sure seem to be on to something! Nothing in the trap at 8:15 PM.

Pictures of the barn swallows, they fledged today.
In the nest yesterday, Mom and Dad.
DSCN1064.JPG DSCN1080.JPG

This evening when I went to close up. The fence is opposite the south barn doors, about 10'. I'm a bit worried about them. I left the door open until after dark in case they were going to go in and they were still on the fence. Doesn't seem a safe place to spend the night.
DSCN1081.JPG DSCN1082.JPG
DSCN1084.JPG DSCN1085.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The little swallows were all around in the same general area at 7:30 this morning, Mom and Dad came by as well so everything is fine :)

Anyone wonder why I want the woodchucks out of here?
Lower part of the little barn. 2nd picture is a size 12 boot. Third picture is in the upper part.
DSCN1086.JPG DSCN1087.JPG DSCN1089.JPG

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thinking a connibear type for the opening that will kill it when it exits. Can you make a "tunnel extension" out of a box of some sort so it has to go through the box to exit and have a leg trap inside the box?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
A wire snare at the openings should work and let it catch itself for you but they wouldn't be considered humane.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that compassion/humane and ground hogs are not terms that Bruce would even consider using in the same sentence... On the other hand, I presume several of his family members should not learn of Bruce employing this method should he choose to do so.