Bruce's Journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love having pockets to keep stuff in and that is the bonus to having to where a coat during this time of the yr. If I'm working outside past the coat season, I carry a box with me that contains stuff I may need. I would like to get some over-alls but they are just too heavy to begin with, much more when they are soaked with sweat. They are difficult in the washer and dryer too. The bulk of a tool belt just gets in the way too.

I sure hope the Boys don't change their "Spot" on ya, but can't blame ya on not feeding treats....I don't reward bad behavior either. Hope things work out with all the felines inside...they are looking really Good.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might be time to leave the boys outside for a few days so they can re-discover their poop pile outdoors. They are after all wearing rather heavy fleece coats that should more than adequately protect them from that mild winter weather you're presently experiencing...

Just as an aside, they do sell spray on waterproofer for clothing... It works pretty good. I've used it in the past for hunting apparel. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-Specialties-Water-Repellent-Spray/27652542 Just as an example... Most everyone lives near to a wally world. There are dozens of variations/iterations.

Yep, I think Vermont may have been the last state to get a WW, I think there are 3 now, one is about 7 miles from us. I'll look into the spray. Probably have to wait for it to warm up though because it likely would stink to high heaven and we don't allow anything with "man made stink" in the house.

Since I stopped working on converting the old piece of deck to a 3 sided shelter when I started working on the fence for Merlin, they have no outside shelter at all. And no water. But yep, I sure thought about it. If they are still doing it when the temps go to the point I can have a water bucket outside, the boys might find themselves outside whether they like it or not.

Though ..... until it started getting really cold and snowing a lot, they stayed out all night anyway. I got some enzyme stuff from the pet store and sprayed it on the horse mats in the stall after the first time (when they were trapped inside) after they had been excluded from the stall for several days. Maybe it doesn't work well for alpacas, they went and pooped and peed in the stall the very next day even though it wasn't bad weather outside, no snow, not horribly cold. I guess as soon as a spot smells "right" it is fair game. When it warms up I'll pull the mats out and wash them with bleach water though there isn't much I can do about the dirt under the mats. They managed to choose a spot where 4 mats met.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's because half the population of VT comes across the border and shops at Walmart in Lebanon and (I think) Littleton.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Certainly those who live on the east side of the state. 0% sales tax vs 6% (and maybe plus the 1% 'local option' tax).

Of course one is SUPPOSED to pay a "use tax" with their income tax equal to the VT sales tax they would have owed and the sales tax they did pay on items bought out of state or internet/mail. You can make it easy on yourself and just pay based on income so you don't have to keep track of it all. If you buy a lot of 'not in state' stuff, it is cheaper.

I suspect the rate of observance of this is about equal to the rate of observance of the posted speed limit.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would suspect that as well. Lebanon is a sea of green plates. Sometimes I wish we had a sales tax, it would help my frustration level a good deal!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
While there are a lot of green plates here (of course), we see large quantities of Quebec, NY, NH, MA with a smaller quantity of Ontario, CT and RI, even the very occasional AK. I once saw an HI. That had to be a permanent but recent move ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a strange yellow orb up above in a field of blue. Wonder what that is?

More poop in the alley this morning but I saw Teddy using the pile last evening and there was fresh stuff there this morning when I dumped what was in the alley. Maybe it is only Laddie who is pooping inside. I gave them their morning snack at the gate since that is where they were waiting.

Adjusted the panels to 37ish°. Next adjustment is 28° on April 1 then 21° on April 18th and 17° on the 30th. I'm trying to interpolate the "adjust 4 times a year" dates and tilt from here:
http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

I don't know how much "improvement" I'm making but as you can see from the graph, there appears to be some "too early" and "too late" in the 4 times a year compared to fixed all year and winter all year. Of course trackers are much more effective but their cost is significant and the warranty on their "lives" is only 10 years whereas the warranty on the panels is 25 years and the post and frame holding them up should be about forever. Metal I-Beams on Sched 80 iron pipe set in 3' diameter sonotubes at least 5' deep.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Officially spring (by the calendar). Figured I'd see @CntryBoy777's spring and raise him ;)

Heading into the north field then "panning" west then south back to the house.
DSCN0502.JPG DSCN0503.JPG DSCN0504.JPG DSCN0505.JPG

From the west side of the west field. The boys are "eating grass" :gigunder the solar panels

DSCN0508.JPG DSCN0509.JPG

Teddy close up from the south end of the barn

DSCN0514.JPG

The girls prefer to stay inside when the spring ground is covered with snow

DSCN0512.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy oh boy, what a difference....the Hi here today was 88°, was a bit windy and Humid. I could only stay out til about noon, then I had to call it a day. Guess I'll have to work faster tomorrow.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's what you get for living in a hot place! :lol:

One does acclimate somewhat to the temps where they live. 35°F and sunny the other day, I was out with coat unzipped and no gloves. Of course come Oct when it is 35°F it will be a might different!