Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not that picky. When DD2 is around I make her do it. She only complains a little since basically she is sitting down with her earbuds in listening to music. Such a tough job! I do have to make her slow down though or the grass doesn't get cut well, especially when turning. Like @Latestarter's new machine, mine has a 19" turning circle so you can go around trees and bushes pretty easily.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 3 primary areas that I mow, too. The smallest takes about 45 mins around the house.....field#1, where the fence is going, takes about 1.75hrs....and field#2, in front of trlr takes 2.5hrs. I've never cut fields #3-4 on other side of ditch with rider....hoping to work on it some this yr tho....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get out there to fields 3 & 4 before the grass is 4' high!

The area around the house takes about 1 hour, more due to the "going around things" than actual area so other than maybe mowing the fields (~4 acres) every couple of weeks after Al mows them the first time with the sickle bar, that hour should be the limit of my mowing. Of course those fields aren't exactly golf course fairway smooth so not fast going unless I want to rattle my body parts out. We'll see if I do better at getting out there this year. 2 years ago was the only time I actually kept up with it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't have my camera yesterday so no video of the alpaca races, followed by an alpaca fight. Don't know what was going on with that but they were both breathing really heavy by the time they were done. Laddie had to lie down.

Teddy (the black alpaca) was chasing chickens behind the barn again today :(. I have no idea why. The girls are going back there when the boys are over past the solar panels. If they don't get out before the boys meander back in, squawking, flapping running and under the gate. At least 2 of them, the others headed for the alpacas door. My wife was out (to let me know I had to come in and help with taxes). She went through the barn and the stupid girls were "hiding" between the fence and the half open door. Mind you that is TEN hens, not exactly invisible. I gather Teddy was coming around the corner. Wife had to coax the hens to go around the door and into the barn. Teddy won't approach her other than for food. Of course it is the same with me.

Started adding a 4' high section of chicken wire to the 16' cattle panel at the north end of the east fence (*) because the girls have figured out they can escape the fenced area and get into the back yard by going through the 1st full height opening. It wasn't an issue during the winter since they stay in the barn most of the time. They don't need 4' to stay in but without the dog to keep out predators I figured going to 4' (already had the wire anyway) would force a climbing predator to go through the top ground wire and the hot wire above it.

Only got the north end and the top done and the other end tacked in, needed to come in and help with the stupid taxes. Then make and eat dinner. Then more taxes.

Note to self, unplug the charger just in case you might happen to lean your shoulder against that top wire while attaching the chicken wire.

* which means straight out the back of the house and near the little barn.

Latest posts