Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

Didn't make it out today, waiting for a return call that never came. I did get hotwire about 4' up on the piece of fence on the north side. I used black and yellow stranded for the part that runs just at the top of the gate since it is more visible than smooth metal wire. The charge comes from the south which is the gate hinge side. I put a "Caution electric fence" sign on the gate wire on the far side by the latch. That should, I hope, make sure people remember they now have to remove the gate wire before they can open the gate.

I've told the whole family but most likely I'm the one that will forget and get snapped. No one else spends much of any time out there.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
On many animals, the medial line between the ears...angled down towards the throat will take them out fairly quickly. If your pellet gun is a pump, be sure ya pump it to full power for the most damage. Also, if it is in a trap ya can always put it in water for a few minutes....it is Silent and deadly. It is good to know a few places, because ya never know what area will be presented for the best shot.

@Mike CHS I can imagine that certainly gains respect when touched....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a Gamo Bull Whisperer .177 break barrel with inert gas technology (which I gather means cocking it compresses gas rather than a spring so there is less vibration when fired). 17.5 ft/lb at the muzzle. I'm using 10.5g pellets and shooting from just outside the trap. Can't imagine that thing coming at me wounded or not. Really nasty sucker. Read a bunch of "Google found" Q/A on killing a coon with pellet guns. Some said can't be done, others said it takes 10+ shots. Others say it can be done, shot placement important. All in all I don't think I would want to go coon hunting with this pellet gun, they are seriously tough hided and tough skulled critters.

DW spotted an adult chuck out by the pile of beams in front of the barn this evening:(. Either the one that got a free ride to the west end of the property came back or there is yet another "local". If this one finds the inside of the trap, I'm not going for another long hike. I've hidden the gun down in the barn alley so I don't have to worry about DD1 seeing me carrying it, I just need to move the cage somewhere out of sight.

Interestingly DW did not ask tonight about the critter she knew was in the trap this morning. All the better. The less I have to "um carried um woods um" the better. No questions means no pertinent facts left out of the answer.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good work on the coon. They are mean and nasty killers. At our old house, right in the middle of town, we had coons. I made my chicken coop predator proof. Several times our Great Pyrenees, Paris, "treed" coons in the yard behind us in a tree right up against our back fence. We have them here too, but they never come in where the dogs are.

I am glad I don't have to deal with woodchucks. Durned rabbits are bad enough.....but then we do have feral hogs. Destructive of any and everything.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next time you clean and lube your .twotwo, don't forget the filter...........

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey Bruce did Premier1 ever get back to you on the shears? We did a hired out shear job yesterday and in talking with the owner of the sheep, his buddy ordered shears from them too this year and they wouldnt work on his sheep and the guy has sheared for a several years so I doubt it is operator error. He sent them back. Maybe they had a defect in a batch of shears. We have Oster Showmaster shears, they work great and were only $280 if i recall right.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
No they did not @misfitmorgan. Quite surprising since customer service in the past has been speedy. Guess I have to call them and return it. Not sure I want them to send a replacement since I have no way to test it until next spring.

Saw 2 little chucks playing in the pile of wood at the south side of the barn. Very near the open trap with chicken feed inside. Once trapped twice shy, I bet the little buggers did come back. Well they have had their 1 chance to make a new life for themselves as has the adult over in the pile of timbers. Of course the trick now it to catch them again.

@greybeard I don't think there is an air filter on the Gamo. Certainly nothing about it in the MINIMAL owner's manual.