Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that might be hard since there are people in this house that would freak if they knew I was intentionally killing them. That is why the air rifle is hidden in the barn. If that wasn't an issue, I would need to have the gun in the house where I could sneak out the back and hit them from a distance of 100' plus since as soon as they hear anyone, they are GONE.

Plus, though I've tried to zero it in inside the upper part of the barn, I've not been very successful. Always seems to hit low and right. I've adjusted the scope's wind and elevation but still, no go. I have read that the scope that comes with the gun (no open sights on it) isn't the best. I've also tried 3 different pellets, always subsonic. I am using the "soft grip" on the gun as described here:
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/04/how-to-shoot-an-airgun-accurately/ since I understand that is required for this type of gun.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
One young woodchuck "disappeared" today. Trap set again tonight.

I picked up the 5' horse fence today. Supposed to rain a fair bit tomorrow so I don't know that I'll be adding it to the gates right off. Still need to figure a way to get a T post solidly in the ground next to the barn walls. May not be possible if the foundation stones project out the farther down one goes. That is pretty typical for a rubblestone foundation.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your need is but can you possibly mount 2x4's to the wall in lieu of a t-post. I had to do that in a couple of places and just stapled sheep and goat panels to that. In one spot I had to use 3 2x's to get the area I needed to cover.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh i see, i didnt know the others had problems with killing critters. Good luck to you on the catching/"relocating" lol

We did the same thing @Mike CHS, nailed a 2x4 to the side of the barn and stapled the fence to it. Havn't have any issues with it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I expect I'll have to "pad" the barn wall to have somewhere to attach the wire. Will need to use LONG screws since I have to go through whatever I'm padding with, then the shiplap then the original vertical 1" siding before I get to the post which may or may not be in good shape on the outside edge. Barn is really old.

Wind blew the trap shut overnight, I have reset it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh i see, i didnt know the others had problems with killing critters. Good luck to you on the catching/"relocating" lol
Kind of related, a current news story..a vegan that didn't believe in killing anything faced one of the harsh realities of life--gotta do what ya gotta do:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ns-rabid-raccoon-after-attacks-her/399987001/

A rabid raccoon bit into this vegetarian's thumb. So she drowned it in a nearby puddle.

Rachel Borch, a 21-year-old in Hope, Maine, went for a run in the woods near her home on June 3. She came back barefoot, bleeding and screaming after drowning a rabid raccoon who sunk its teeth into her hand.

Borch shared her harrowing story in great detail with the Portland Press Herald and Bangor Daily News, both accounts laden with grisly elements and incredible quotes from Borch.

"I’ve never killed an animal with my bare hands," Borch told the Daily News. "I’m a vegetarian. It was self-defense.”

Borch left for the run that morning along a familiar, overgrown trail near her house, but not before her brother warned her about a raccoon he'd seen oddly "sulking" in their yard, the Press Herald reported. Sure enough, shortly into her run on the wooded path, Borch and the beast met eyes.

She recalled to the Press Herald a "ferocious-looking raccoon" who charged at her with teeth bared. Within seconds, it stood at her feet. Borch ripped out her earbuds and dropped her phone, which fell into a nearby puddle.

“Imagine the Tasmanian devil,” she told the Daily News.

She couldn't avoid the raccoon, she told the newspaper; the trail was too narrow. So she succumbed to the reality that she would be bitten.

The best place, she reasoned, would be her hand: It would leave her relatively mobile and provide her best chance at defense. Borch extended her hands toward the animal, the Press Herald reported.

It sunk its teeth into her thumb. Borch screamed. The raccoon clawed her arms wildly, its jaw pressed tight. Borch panicked. Then she remembered her phone that sank into the puddle.

Dragging the still-biting animal on her knees toward the water, Borch "pushed its head down into the muck," she told the Daily News, until "“its arms sort of of fell to the side, its chest still heaving really slowly.”

Hysterical, she bolted home. Her mother drove her to a medical center, per the Daily News. Her dad and her brother retrieved the dead raccoon, the Press Herald reported, lest another animal become infected by it.

The raccoon later tested positive for rabies, according to the Daily News, and Borch is receiving the appropriate shots for treatment.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine how someone could hold an adult coon face down in a puddle long enough for it to drown. They are nasty, vicious and very strong. Plus they have a lot of claws and sharp teeth. I guess if you have enough adrenaline many things are possible.

Latest posts