Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
One more young chuck has moved on. Set up the trap over by the timbers to see if the adult chuck would like to move on as well. I also set up the game camera in front of the upper gates to the barn just to see if anything is snooping around at night.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like that trap is being pretty productive for ya. Glad ya are thinning them out. I once found a rat nest and got 10 rats out of it....all were full grown, they were under the slab of concrete under an AC unit for central air....I used a water hose to flush them out....and the 3 dogs I had killed them. I was standing, blocking an escape route and one came my way, I went to kick it back to the dogs and it bit the tip of my shoe.....I kicked it up in the air and it let go....but a dog caught it in the air and it was dead when it hit tbe ground...:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided enough was enough with the now 8 week old chicks and Zorra sleeping and pooping in the community nest box. The 2015 chicks were up on the roost at 4 weeks. Zorra had taken them to one of the single boxes at 2 weeks. I guess she didn't think about the "palace" size community box and as the girls got crowded they decided on their own to go up. I nailed a piece of plywood over the openings to the community box. As expected Zorra was fit to be tied when she couldn't get in. It took a fair bit of time and some effort to get them all up on the roost. After awhile Trouble (the cockerel) and either Betty or Veronica went up on the 2' high roost. Another decided to go to the 4' high but then a couple of the older girls decided they needed to come from the far side (ALL the older girls sleep on the north side roosts) and harass them so they all flew down. Put Zorra up, she got down. Around and around. Finally we got 5 of the littles up and protected from the older girls and Zorra went up as well. Of course several of the chicks decided they wanted be the ones to sleep under or next to "mama" so much fussing and jockeying for position occurred. And some needed to get back up on the roost of course. I guess I'll have to block the community box at night for a bit to make sure they don't think last night was a one time thing.

DD2 and I put up the chicken wire above the rabbit fence on the south side of the garden, still need to get something above the gate (3' high) but attached to it. Then I had her help me replace the 8" bolt hooks on the two 12' gates with 12" hooks. Now I have adjustment distance and don't have the nuts barely on so the latch parts match up :)

I started pulling out the insulated wire inside the barn for the prior owner's electric fence. They had their charger partway down the alley and ran 2 directions. I put mine on the north wall so it was close to the start of the fence. I'm going to use the older wire to run around the outside of the small barn from the "end" of the fence I put up last fall to the gates between the barns. While I was doing that I had DD2 scrubbing the dirt out of the alpacas' heated water bucket, not in use since I put up the automatic waterer out on the H-brace for the gate to the area behind the barn. While doing so she was stung by a random wasp, went through her shirt and got her upper rib cage in front :(. How and why? Who knows. I've not seen a wasp yet this year and couldn't find a nest. Didn't see her again after I sent her in to put Benadryl on it.

Found my chain and 2 comealongs. Been looking for them for a couple of weeks. Forgot that last time I took them out I had them in a big canvas bag so they weren't obvious when I was looking (multiple times) in the 3 places in the barns I knew were the only ones I would put them. In any case, now that I had the short chains I was able to pull the hinge post of the old, rotting short fence that was blocking the upper 12' gate from opening toward the house. Then I had to find something to fill the hole ;)

Not much but a few things that needed doing got done.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something else that I have noticed about those wasps....their temperment doesn't get any better as the temps rise....they get more aggressive. I know it was a pleasure to not be bundled up and freezing temps while dealing with the fence issues.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took pictures of the animals a couple of days ago.

You might note the non-professional "do" on the boys. And no I didn't leave the hair on their legs for a "sporty look", I didn't want to get kicked in the head if I bent down far enough to "shear". Neither is remotely interested in having their legs touched. I'm going to have to do so though, their nails probably need to be cut. Can't really tell without picking up their feet which hasn't happened yet.

DSCN0631.JPG DSCN0641.JPG

The older hens hanging out under a small tree between the barns

DSCN0642.JPG DSCN0643.JPG

Latest posts