Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are very lucky to have seen this.
Thanks for the explanation @greybeard. Those "wire to ground rod (T-post)" snaps are LOUD. I recently saw something similar with a small piece of vegetation that fried on a hot wire then dropped onto a brace wire. Hardly any vegetation left but enough to span that gap with SNAP SNAP SNAP resulting. Time to FIND time to get out there and whack the weeds growing near the north fence line. And maybe put a bit of foam over the brace wire where it passes near the hot wire, it is probably only a 1/2" gap.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought about this thread this morning while trying to find one of those SNAPS. I would here a loud snap and then nothing else. Stood there a bit and got another then nothing. I walked the fence for several minutes and could find nothing. It finally did a SNAP right at a T-post that I was standing in front of. I looked around the post and saw nothing obvious then looked closer at the insulator and saw a dead red wasp that had evidently got fried touching the hot wire and the t-post at the same time. He was separated at it's middle (thorax?) and the pulse would occasionally put the body parts together and then SNAP.

Knocked it off and nothing else since then.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a couple of arcs last night but it was too dark to go an investigate. I am pretty sure it is cobwebs and dust as it is at a knot. I have had lizards and toads get electrocuted and they arc pretty good too. :(

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My young chickens (that I hatched to sell and no one bought) have taken to living in the buck pen scratching up all kind of fly larvae. While I love the fact that they are on fly patrol it sure does raise to odor level out there, constantly smells like a freshly scraped pen.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like they are coming along just fine and are enjoying their exploring. Have ya heard the intermitent crowing yet?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep. At first he sounded like the tail end of "Putting on the Ritz" from Young Frankenstein, just one "word". Then he put a few together but the "words" were not drawn out at all. I've since heard a few that are more like a crow. But he's still working to perfect it and doesn't sound off with frequency. On my side is the fact that it is getting light later so maybe by the time he does decide he needs to announce the start of the day, DW will already be up. Her alarm is at 5:10 or 5:20 depending on if she is taking a shower.