Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the hair pick idea. Don't worry, I don't have a used one, it would HAVE to be new ;)

Yeah I'd already heard about cold meat slicing better, originally from a cashier at the family owned market I like. I was incredulous that frozen meat was easier to slice. Seems "in the freezer but not frozen solid" is what she really meant, clarified by the guy in line behind me. I have a boning knife (that NO ONE but me is allowed to use) that I think would work well. The blade is just slightly flexible and it is short enough for good control.

4602-7_2.jpg

My wife's favorite knife is one *I* think is bad for most every task. About the length of a chef's knife but the "spine" is narrow and the blade quite flexible. Not stiff enough for chopping or cutting hard things like carrots and too big for cutting smaller softer things like tomatoes that might benefit from a narrow blade.

Hmmmmmm, I WONDER ... probably illegal since it wouldn't be USDA packaged but if not maybe I could take my very cold "cured" belly slabs to the market and have them slice them for me. I'm well known to the deli staff and the owners of the store :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 9" chef's knife that is good for winter squash. Very stiff and long enough to "lever" chop, I use it all the time. DD1 thinks it is "big and scary". She uses knives that are too small for the task instead which is actually more dangerous.

Apparently I've had it so long is it now "vintage".
https://www.ebay.com/i/122614005825
Don't things have to be 50 Y/O to be "vintage"? I've only had it for 37 years and bought it new.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Traditionally, 'vintage' doesn't mean much. 100 years for furniture and automobiles to officially be 'antique'.

'Vintage' is usually just used to describe something with some age on it, that has come back into fashion, use, or interest that came from the 20 year 1960-1970 period. 1950 to 1959 is 'retro'.

All of the above has to be considered 'collectible'
otherwise, like me, it's just old.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I think there are several of us that are "vintage" age but far from collectable!

From wikipedia: "The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as over 25 years of age".
Might be time to change that, there are plenty of "antique" cars in daily use in places like So. Cal. Probably made sense in 1935 when the club was formed and cars hadn't been around all that long.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worked on the deck some more today. All planks cut that can be, I have 3 boards that are unusable and need a few more besides. Need some more clear boards for the horizontal baluster supports as well. Hopefully the company will take back the bad boards. Hate to think I have to pay for them.

Went out to the garden, had to come back to the house to get a knife to defend myself. 2 HUGE Zucchini :thand one reasonable size one. 10 yellow crookneck, a couple a bit older than "best".
1 beautiful orange pepper, the only one on the plant. There are a few TINY buds but given this one has been growing for 2 months I'm not holding out hope the next ones (if they develop) will get all the way to full color. There are 2 smaller ones on the other plant, one is orange on the bottom 2/3.
A few Sungold tomatoes, mid August and FINALLY SOME cherry tomatoes are ready?? :barnie.
There are several artichokes on 5 plants, looks like plant #6 got its top munched, doesn't look good. Will have to cut the biggest ones tomorrow and save them in the refrigerator until a couple more get to size. Half of one not all that big artichoke just doesn't cut it!

The cantaloupe is getting bigger and I spotted a smaller one on the other side of the plant. Hopefully both will get ripe!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, one other thing. I finally got around to sending the Alpaca shears back to Premier 1 for evaluation. They didn't find anything wrong and I got to talk to one of their technical people. Will have to try again next spring and hope I recall what he said. I ordered another cutter so I will have 2 cutters and 2 combs. Also ordered 8 oz of shearing oil and a pair of hand shears (better than household scissors right?) that I can use if I fail with the electric again. The boys REALLY hated the noise of the shears on their necks let alone near their heads so I'll hand shear higher up anyway.

And the good part. Premier 1 did not charge me to sharpen the cutter and combs and sent me a check for $12 to help cover the cost of me sending them the shears to look at. Pretty darned decent of them I say!