Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right, I went with the "easy" method. A 29 gallon aquarium that has a leak up on a side joint. So if any water leaked from the pots, no problem. It also has a 2 tube light that sits on top, what could be better? But the light can't be moved down. Of course that makes sense, don't really need your electric light dropping into the aquarium ;) And the result is stringy plants. Need a better method next year.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll take a couple of pics of the grow area we utilized in the trlr, one was in a closet and the other in a shipping crate turned into a cabinet....if ya wish to give ya an idea. Having an indoor cat we had to protect from curiosity. We just use meat trays and baking sheets to set the pots on for any runoff water, combined with the lights it also provides humidity to keep plants from drying out from the heat of the bulbs....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So as not to post too much redundant stuff to the web, Veronica's first egg:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-nfc-b-day-chat-thread.1050266/page-1991#post-19073879

I replaced the piece of handrail with a 2x4 (*) since it seemed the handrail, though a good shape for chicken feet when roosting, was too narrow for their comfort. The replacement goes all the way to the front wall so they have 7' feet. I also moved it some inches toward the inside of the coop so Yue wouldn't be annoyed at any girl coming too close to her end of the original roost to get on the new roost. I've not seen any of them use the new ramp. They either fly right to the roost or get on the forward one that is parallel to the back wall and walk over to the new one.

DSCN0781.jpg

* To make you non perfectionists happy, I pieced together 2 pieces of 2x4 with a big "patch" board underneath and screwed the heck out of it ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Weather shift:
Low last night - 55°. High today 74°, winds gusting to 35 MPH until 8 PM, slowing some then picking back up to 25-30 from 11 PM to 7 AM.

Low tonight 45°, high tomorrow 47°.

Low tomorrow night 35°, high Monday 54°.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It really is more normal for us to have a frost in October and cool spells off and on. In recent yrs it hasn't been the case, but it is about time for a more normal winter here, tho I sure don't like the really cold...the cool spells are certainly welcomed......:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The front died long before it got over me so not a drop of rain. Nice humidity before it arrived, nice cool dry air after it passed late this am. House is opened up now, as it has been all day. I may regret that in the morning as we're supposed to be down mid to upper 40s. High tomorrow low 70's and similar for the next few days. love it. Just wish we could get a little rain... Gonna spa soak later before bed and expect to sleep like a baby. Always do when it gets cold.