Bruce's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now I am looking at Jubilee Orpingtons. At the price they want for chicks, I think I will break my usual routine and get prepared BEFORE :th I get them. I know, I know, that just isn't me, but I do pop up with surprises from time to time. ;) I have plenty of chicks to keep me busy for this year, Jubilee Orpingtons will be a next spring project. I guess this means I have made up my mind to suck it up, pay the price, and get some. :yesss:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any particular reason you want the Jubilee Orpingtons? And wow they are expensive. Meyer is $32.47 for straight run, $34.05 for females. Cackle is a bit cheaper, SR a lot cheaper at $11.95, Females $27.95. Price goes down $2 if you buy 5 or more. Minimum 3 SR or F, 1 Male.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like Angel is taking the chicks pretty well. I've seen as many as 7 at a time, not sure if I've seen all of them or not. She pecks at them a bit, not sure why but one of them pecked her beak and she didn't react at all. Those that I have seen have found the food and water. I took away her 3 'unhatched' eggs.

I moved the broody buster back to the other coop/stall but I need to take the waterer out of the house brooder box before I move Anais so she will have water in the buster.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any particular reason you want the Jubilee Orpingtons? And wow they are expensive. Meyer is $32.47 for straight run, $34.05 for females. Cackle is a bit cheaper, SR a lot cheaper at $11.95, Females $27.95. Price goes down $2 if you buy 5 or more. Minimum 3 SR or F, 1 Male.
I like the color. Orps are supposed to be a good dual purpose chicken, so if I'm going to get some, I might as well get the color I like. I know you can't eat color, but they sure are a feast for the eyes.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score

Yuck. Hatchery price for those breeds makes me wince. If you can find a breeder usually chicks are "only" $10-$20/straight run chick and they will be prettier, usually nicer temperament and broodier. The hitch is that you may get roosters and the hens don't lay well. (decorative orps, I learned the hard way, are decorative).

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I opened the door to the brooder area so Angel and the girls could come out. Didn't take Angel 10 seconds to pop out with 8 of her babies. Sadly the Barnevelder was not among them. I found her in the shavings. I don't know if Angel accidentally stepped on her or if she had unobvious issues or what.

They spent about an hour out in the alley, I'd strung chicken wire across the run so the other hens couldn't get into the area. Angel did a lot of clucking and food finding (I tossed some in for them). She took a dust bath. A couple of times she flared and flapped mightily. Those chicks that didn't get blown away ran away. But they came right back.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Angel and her 8 babies. Surprising that only one was moving.
DSCN1512.JPG

And the entrance to their private suite, complete with food and water
DSCN1510.JPG