Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here either! There are so many high and low spots that the flail skids will dig in if you make a sharp turn.

You can lift a flail, back up and then lower it and cut running forward. Best to know that there isn't anything big in there though. You would get farther under the trees with a bush hog since it sticks out the back so much farther. So again, it depends on what you need to do.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here either! There are so many high and low spots that the flail skids will dig in if you make a sharp turn.

You can lift a flail, back up and then lower it and cut running forward. Best to know that there isn't anything big in there though. You would get farther under the trees with a bush hog since it sticks out the back so much farther. So again, it depends on what you need to do.

Agree, plus you can run the bush hog while backing up.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The instructions with my flail said not to mow backwards because you could hit something and damage the roller. If you know there is nothing there, you can mow backwards. But since the flail runs in the opposite direction of the tractor tires (when running forward), it won't cut as efficiently plus the roller will be holding the taller stuff down so the knives won't necessarily contact the "stalks" at the set cutting height.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw a fish in the pond that had me really confused because it didn't look like either of the species I put in there from the bait shop.

But some Google investigations show it to be a male fathead minnow in breeding colors. I guess the fish are happy enough in the pond.
142671display.jpg

http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?ds=241&uid=30

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its going down but yes hopefully the added depth will keep it from going dry again. Could use some decent rain. Big T-storms all around this afternoon, reports of 60 MPH winds, heavy rain. Apparently we have an invisible umbrella over us. DW came home from the north and said trees down everywhere, tons of rain. Here? If I had a gauge I bet it wouldn't even have registered.