Bruce's Journal

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the constant updates on your remodeling. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who learns as he goes. Sometimes even if you think you gave everything you need, and know everything possible.....you don't lol. Measure twice cut one? That's for the pros. Mine is more of a "measure 4 times, cut 3, measure 2 more times, get a new piece of wood, cut once, Ducktape what doesn't work."

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the constant updates on your remodeling. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who learns as he goes. Sometimes even if you think you gave everything you need, and know everything possible.....you don't lol. Measure twice cut one? That's for the pros. Mine is more of a "measure 4 times, cut 3, measure 2 more times, get a new piece of wood, cut once, Ducktape what doesn't work."
Same lol

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Want some cheese with that whine? :lol:
I have some Edam in the refrigerator :D

You need a woodstove in your workshop!
:eek: That's a scary thought. One bad spark and the whole thing burns down. It is as old as the house. Also needs a lot of work.

Yeah, that seems just about right.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw from the house what I thought was a tree down on the edge of the field. I went out and found that it was actually the shadow of a nearly horizontal trunk of an apple tree. Nothing to do there but I started looking at the trees in the area thinking about which were in the best shape and would benefit from nearby trees being cut out.

Walked up the hill a bit and saw a big downed tree so I went to investigate to see if it was usable wood. I nearly ran into a ladder tree stand. It is in quite good shape including the ratchet straps holding it to the tree so it hasn't been there for years and years. The stand was facing our fields and house. I hope whoever was using it was bow hunting. I didn't put it there but I did take it down. I wonder if someone is going to come wandering around looking for it. Maybe I should put a sign on the tree "Looking for a tree stand?? Call .....". Guess it is time to post the property. I understand anyone can legally hunt on our property if it isn't posted (not that I want them to) but I don't think that gives them the right to put up a tree stand.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I can only imagine if the are rifle hunting facing our house and barns. Hey look a black deer! And a brown one with a white neck! And look, they are inside that fence.

We came across a guy wandering around a few years ago. I ASSUME he lives in one of the 8 houses on the road that runs up the south side of our property. All the houses are past where our field turns to woods and they have a few acres of "community property" on the south side of our woods. He said he thought their community property went to the chain link fence (neighbor to the north's fence). I told him if he could see the fence he was WAY off their property.

I had surveyors come out last spring to put stakes on the south lot line at distances we could see each one in turn from the previous stake. I need to pound in some T posts with signs. By law the signs need to be 200' apart but that is WAY too far apart in the woods. They would be all but invisible. I doubt 50' apart would be enough unless someone was specifically looking for signs. One of the PITA's of posting is you have to put up new dated signs every year.

And maybe see if they have an HOA 'president' or something and ask if they even have a survey of their property so they have some idea where their community property is. Our property has a 450' NW line running from the SW corner of the field, then goes 1,000' west. That corner is "conveniently" in a vernal pool that seems to have water in it all year unless we are in drought.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guess it is time to post the property. I understand anyone can legally hunt on our property if it isn't posted (not that I want them to) but I don't think that gives them the right to put up a tree stand.

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that people can legally hunt on your property and don't even have to ask or notify you? Oh HE!! NO! That would get someone shot here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to date the no trespassing signs and put up new ones every year? Do these trespassers pay the property taxes? We can just paint a tree or post with a ring of purple paint, it means posted. Date it? Nope. Put up a new ring of paint every year? Only if it fades. Gheesh. If I saw someone walking around on my property, he/she would be confronted and told to leave.