Bruce's Journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some problems can be from the bendix or windings of the armeture...if continuity is broken in a winding then it can't be rebuilt or if the shaft of the armeture is bent it can't, but most other parts and pieces can be replaced....not many wish to spend the time to answer the "why" question....so, it is "locate" the problem and change the part mostly today....most parts are sealed anyway these days.... :)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
But even the headlights would not go on, no lights on the switch went on. So I figured the electronic switch module had gone bad and ordered a new one. It will arrive Saturday.

The brushes in the starter being bad would explain why it would not start, but it would not explain why the lights wouldn't come on. You may have multiple problems. For the time being it sounds like everything is working fine, and you may have even solved the problem permanently, but the problem(s) may come back. Replacing the control switch may fix the initial problem of no power to the lights. The brushes being stuck in the "up" position may be fixed with your disassembly/reassembly. I hope so. Keep us up-to-date.

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally got the garden planting done :th. And it isn't even all that big a garden. Supposed to get some rain this afternoon. Seems unlikely at the moment given there is more clear than cloud up there. There is a severe storm warning over in NY with big hail. By the radar it looks to be heading this way. Hopefully we'll be on the edge of it rather than in the direct path. I don't need the garden pelted with hail.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I could just whack the starter case. Somewhere in the depths of my mind I THINK I remember that is something people do.
:lol: :lol::lol:....that reminds me of when we were kids.....we had a tv, a zenith in a metal cabinet....tubes in the back, type....the signals back then were a challenge and for some reason ya had to manipulate the v-hold adjustment.....it use to make my dad really Mad and he would walk up to it and whack the top with his fist and slam his hands against the sides....:gig:lol::gig....it lasted for yrs, but the cabinet was bent and dented from the whacking.....my dad wouldn't give it up til tubes got harder to find and transitors was the "way to go".....hey....ya just never know, I can't "swear" to it...but I have "followed suit" and done my share of banging....didn't work everytime, but was sure Thankful when it did....🤣

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
he would walk up to it and whack the top with his fist and slam his hands against the sides
Everyone did that, it was how you "adjusted" the set! Though I don't think we ever bashed hard enough to dent the case. I recall going to SavOn drug store to test tubes and buy replacements for bad ones. I suspect a lot of people here on BYH do as well.