Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It held water fine, full to the top all winter and into spring. Then we had no rain for about 3 weeks and warm (for us this time of year) temps and it has gone down. But more rain this week and it has gone up some. I guess that means it is holding ;) Of course after seeing it at its high point I wish I had dug a little wider in some spots. Oh well, if we get another super dry winter again some time I can look at doing that.

I brought in all the wood I had cut when it was so dry but been busy with the garden and other things. Just started bucking to 16" today. I have determined that the Echo CS-590 is far too powerful and aggressive for the smaller limbs (say < 4"). I'll put those on the sawbuck and cut them with the little Stihl MS180.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got 2 yellow pepper and 4 orange pepper plants to replace those that got hit with frost a few days ago and got them planted. Noticed DW's zucchini got hit as well, it looked OK a couple of days ago. Supposed to rain and get extra hot (for us mid 80s) tomorrow so I decided to mow the lawn this afternoon. Garden tractor started right up :yesss: I drove out of the barn, engaged the mower deck and .....
the belt blew :th I just can't get a break with that machine! Now waiting until mid month for the new belt to arrive. Until then I either use the string trimmer to make paths to the places I have to go or put the flail on the real tractor and do what I can. I'm afraid at this time of year 2 more weeks of growth will be too much for the GT deck.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
i guess they haven't developed the "flex seal" belt mender yet??...:hide
Ya may checkout CL and see if there are any used woods mower or small bush hog....sometimes ya can catch something decent for a good price.....if ya measure the belt ya may can get by with a fan belt from auto parts store....:)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just bought our first ever riding mower. Dh has been talking about it every summer for a couple of years. He's enjoying it. The lawn mowing went from 40 minutes (for him, 50 for me) to 20. Seated is a big bonus. I don't suppose I'll get a turn at mowing for a long while. I'll have to be okay with that ;).

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
i guess they haven't developed the "flex seal" belt mender yet??...:hide
Ya may checkout CL and see if there are any used woods mower or small bush hog....sometimes ya can catch something decent for a good price.....if ya measure the belt ya may can get by with a fan belt from auto parts store....:)
145" V belt. I don't know how many vehicles use a fan belt that long! The GT has no PTO so any woods or bush hog would have to have a gas engine on it. Might as well pull the 5' flail with the real tractor :D I got the string trimmer out yesterday and made some paths to the places I need to go without needing to put on boots. The mower belt has "shipped" but USPS is still waiting for the package. It is coming from some auto parts place in Ohio ... which suggests, as you did, that maybe I should have checked at Advance Auto instead of Tractor Supply.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have gotten to be a big shopper on EBay.... not all the parts are from China either..... have gotten some stuff from US suppliers for my little trucks and all. I like EBay better than Amazon..... and it is not all just for "auction" stuff... I buy my sneakers 6 pair at a time and the ones I like are probably a "closeout" item now. Used to get them in JC Penney.... then they quit carrying this style in the store, but could get them from them online. Now still get them though a couple of different shoe dealers.....shoebecca (I think) is one that is great, fast shipping, good prices. I am not a "shopper" like many women, so the shipped to me is great.....and when I find something I like, I stick with it.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the "issue" with eBay is trust in the seller. The one thing I've gotten with some regularity is HID headlight bulbs for the second gen Prius(s), we still have 2. OEM bulbs in the box for less than half what Toyota charges.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The belt for the GT mower deck made it to Westborough, MA 2 days ago. USPS is still waiting to receive it. Since I had the flail on the real tractor (see my entry on Mike's journal just now) I decided to mow the tallest/thickest part of the lawn since it will be a bit much for the GT once that belt shows up. Got done what I wanted AND made an amazing discovery! A compact tractor with a 5' flail hanging off the back isn't exactly a Z turn mower. Not even a garden tractor mower ;)

Latest posts