Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little off on "Teflon" myself though I do have an 8" and a 12" pan. One gets a bit nervous about non-skid cookware when they have to throw away two pizzas that ended up with a nice shiny silver underside. And yes the then not so non-skid coated pizza pans went out at the same time.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well supposedly the surface heats more evenly and bakes the crust better.
I do think I like mine cooked on the stone over a pan, but it's been a long time since I've used a baking sheet for pizza.
I have to admit though, that I also like store bought take-n-bake pizza that cooks on those paper things too.
My taste buds are equal opportunity and not so well educated it seems.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a set of super expensive stainless steel pans that we splurged on about 15 years ago. I love them. No need for non stick, these clean up very easily. I ditched my non stick anyway when I got parakeets in 2008. So even though I love the idea of cooking with cast iron, it’s just an occasional thing with me if a recipe specifically is geared towards it. Which is probably why I can’t get them broken in properly.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ditched my non stick anyway when I got parakeets in 2008.

Are parakeets susceptible to the effects of non stick cookware being used, akin to canaries being susceptible to methane as is found in coalmines, or was it simply a coincidence that you got parakeets and got rid of your non stick cookware?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first pass REALLY heavy (and no siding yet) EV station "house" which turned out to be too small
DSCN2165.JPG

New larger "house", primed and no 3/4" boards on 3 sides, siding only. Sometimes one needs to THINK about just how sturdy things need to be!!
DSCN2178.JPG

Installed. Not sure what I'm going to do about the door yet. It faces east and the wind almost always comes from the south, west and north so snow shouldn't be blowing in too much.
DSCN2180.JPG DSCN2181.JPG

99.9% of the house is stuff I had around already. Needed to buy 2 stainless screws and fender washers to screw the house into the post from the back and a box of stainless siding nails because I ran out.

Since STA wants pictures of all my VERY exciting projects ;)

While I had the angle grinder out to cut the roof for the "EV House" I made "covers" for the wood racks so snow won't be piling on top then melting into the wood. Nothing to keep it out of the sides but that is usually minimal. The racks are 38" deep and the old roofing is conveniently 38" wide :D
DSCN2179.JPG

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are parakeets susceptible to the effects of non stick cookware being used, akin to canaries being susceptible to methane as is found in coalmines, or was it simply a coincidence that you got parakeets and got rid of your non stick cookware?
Non-stick cooking appliances and self-cleaning ovens release a colorless, odorless gaseous toxin and can cause death to a bird within 24 hours. I never used them when I had parrots either.
Yes, exactly as Mike CHS said. And if you inadvertently overheat the Teflon, your bird can die rapidly. Even though it doesn’t kill us, I can’t imagine it is doing us any good, either. Now ceramic nonstick pans are readily available and they claim to be safe. At least, their labels say PFOA free etc. I have gotten a few of those.