Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind did you get this time?
2 Black Australorps (these girls will be raised by one of the BAs from 2015)
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte
2 Blue Ameraucana. The really light bird is one of them so she is likely a splash. Not sure if the other is a blue or a black. Weird chicken genetics with Blues.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte
2 Blue Ameraucana. The really light bird is one of them so she is likely a splash. Not sure if the other is a blue or a black. Weird chicken genetics with Blues.
I thought I saw Black Australorp, but then, all black chicks look similar, huh? And I thought I saw a Sapphire Splash, until I noticed she had a beard. Splash Ameraucanas are beautiful. It will be interesting to see how she turns out. Wyandottes are always nice, too.

I went and bought 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte straight runs from a local breeder. The photos of their parent stock looked awesome. Unfortunately, it’s looking like I got all 6 cockerels. :(

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte
I'm guessing splash and a black by the looks. I love blue genetics, its the same for ducks blue, black and splash.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been picking the chicks up and talking to them. Won't be happening much after they go under Nuit tonight. Prior experience says hen raised chicks are more flighty.

AND I noted that the dark Ameraucana has 5 toes per foot. I'll be talking to Meyer about that. When you pay big money for a REAL Ameraucana, it shouldn't have "breed faults".

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been picking the chicks up and talking to them. Won't be happening much after they go under Nuit tonight. Prior experience says hen raised chicks are more flighty.

AND I noted that the dark Ameraucana has 5 toes per foot. I'll be talking to Meyer about that. When you pay big money for a REAL Ameraucana, it shouldn't have "breed faults".
I would tell them you want a refund for the two because you dont believe they are purebred. Then go order from Murray McMurray....Ameraucanas for $4.35 or less. Unless you specifically wanted the BBS then I would go with cackle hatchery....$19.95 or less and they have good stock overall.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chick phase 2 completed. Nuit didn’t seem upset by getting 3 chicks per side. Amazing how fast they grow, prior picture was 7:30 yesterday morning. This is them in their taxi going out to the barn at 9 tonight
801BBC51-F915-4458-B8F0-302338600C5F.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked up snatch blocks and found these at Harbor Freight
61673_W3.jpg

Regular $29.99 on sale for $19.99.

They won't let the cable drop out without disconnecting the shackle from the "ears" but that will be easier than using the sailing blocks I have been using. With those I have to remove the pulley from the tree it is attached to and let it run along the ground since the cable has to be threaded trough the pulley, no way to open the sides.

Plus, MAYBE there will be situations when I can connect the shackle to only one "ear" and remove the cable from the pulley manually without having to disconnect anything.

20,000 pound working load. Not a problem for a 4,500 pound winch. If I could put 20,000 pounds of pull on something it better want to move otherwise the 3,200 pound tractor would move to the object ;)

While I was there I topped up the battery in my car, they have a free Level 2 charging station :D

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a good mix of breeds and colors. Eye candy!

I want Jubilee Orpingtons, just because they are so darn pretty. But until I build a real coop, walk in permanent coop, I am holding off. I must have fever........