Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor man's logging winch. I don't do enough "logging" to justify a multi thousand dollar logging winch, far superior as they are.
  • The little box on the left is for the wireless controller. the hand held controller seems to be the only cheesy part but it works. Easy to pull the cable out while using it.
  • The winch - 4500 pound UTV from TSC. Only 35' of cable though but this model came with the remote, others didn't. Thus it takes several pulls to get a log out to the field. It would be nice to have a 200' cable :D
  • Out front is the wired controller, if you put this on a UTV that wire goes back to the operators station.
  • Far right - control block. I swapped the short black and red battery cables for the longer yellow and blue winch to controller cables.
  • Not visible but the metal plate the winch is attached to is connected with low stretch rope back to the tractor frame. Thus no strain on the loader.
  • The plate is held down on the forks by "C" shaped metal brackets usually meant for sliding a 2x4 through to bar a door. Keeps the winch from lifting.
  • I got longer bolts for the battery clamps and added a washer and wingnut. The wires are only attached to the battery when the winch is going to be used. I ran the tractor while using the winch so as to not run the battery down.
IMG_0369.jpeg

Test pull on a small "log". The winch stopped pulling as soon as there was tension on it. I could pick this "log" up. What the heck, a 4,500 pound winch can't pull it??? Took me a bit to realize the clutch was in "neutral" instead of "retrieve". Worked fine after that .... SLOW but fine.
IMG_0370.jpeg

Brought in a larger "log". I have to guide the cable so it doesn't clog up one side. The yellow cone keeps the log from hanging up as it travels.
IMG_0371.jpeg

Small amount of wood pulled in today. The was "standing dead" only not the way most people think of it. 2 trees that had broken off some distance up the trunk, dropped into the ground a good 8-10". Couldn't pull them out sideways, had to cut the "trunk" to get the rest to drop. Yes they were also hung up in other trees.
IMG_0372.jpeg

The plan is to pull a bunch of wood to the edge of the field, remove the winch and carry the logs on the forks up to the the bucking and splitting station by the barn.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I could get the tractor up to the trees I wouldn't need a winch. Those small bits were about 90' from the field up a hill you would need a skidder to scale. The big downed tree I'm actually aiming for is another 40' up the hill.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went and bought 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte straight runs from a local breeder. The photos of their parent stock looked awesome. Unfortunately, it’s looking like I got all 6 cockerels.
@Bruce , do you remember when we were talking about your cockerel Trouble over on the BYC sexing Easter Eggers thread, and I said he was very definite for all the cockerel signs? Well these BLRW are an example of when the pullets show mild signs of being cockerels. They went through the bare shoulders and no tail stage, and really had me worried for a long time. But tonight I was counting them, and at 12-15 weeks old, it looks like I have 2 boys and 4 girls!

It just goes to show that there aren’t always hard and fast rules. And I have also read in a lot of places that Wyandottes as a breed are hard to sex early anyway. I still hope none of my “pullets” does a 180 and turn out to be a boy after all.