Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ordered a new set of Y blades for the flail and a set of hammer blades. They are meant for heavier cutting. I put the hammers on to mow the fields this week. I keep a strip mowed around the outside but leave the rest until mid August for the wildlife. Don't want to run over any fawns or bird nests. I managed to chip a few of the new blades on rocks of course.

5B51935F-524B-4DB8-B5FF-04A4A6BE9ADD_1_105_c.jpeg IMG_0386.jpeg

The center piece of the Y blade SHOULD be straight, a number of them were bent like this one. NO idea how it could get bent the much (the guy at Woodmaxx didn't know either) but there is no way I can straighten them on my bench vice, the metal is too thick to just bend it.
IMG_0383.jpeg 941C7F33-C154-4841-BA95-D1E80BE706A1_1_105_c.jpeg

We've seen a flock of 6 hens and 11 poults up the road at Al's place, he hays his fields. I told DW that we would see turkeys when I mowed our fields. Lo and behold, a flock of 7 toms this morning
DSCN2270.jpeg DSCN2268.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday DW and I went to the retirement community where her parents and aunt live. Dad and aunt are in the full care facility, mother still living on her own. Beautiful day, 75°, sunny, light breeze. Sure was a change from last week with the 104°F heat advisories! We took dad and aunt out for a walk in wheelchairs. Had to convince the aunt, she was fussing about just staying in. Dad wanted to go out but with his Parkinson's it is a struggle for him to just move to and from the wheelchair.

Aunt was a WHOLE lot more perky once we got her out. A person can't just sit in their room all day. She said it was the first time she went out this year. At nearly 104, I'm not sure her memory is working well. I'll have to check with the other relatives, many who come visit with frequency. If they aren't pushing her to go out, they should be.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a nice day! I know that meant a lot to Dad and Aunt. Getting outside in the sunshine is good for people.
Yes, that is great. They do need to get out and into real Vit D giving sunshine, and all. God Bless her for her age.... one of my great aunts was 102... don't know of any in the family that were older than that off hand but many in their 90's.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, DW's Dad's side is long lived. He is one of 5, the one to die youngest was the oldest son, died at 90. Oldest sister 4 years later at 96, next oldest brother at 97. FIL is 96 but I suspect the Parkinson's is going to shorten his life. I'm sure DW's aunt never expected to be the last surviving child. Of course who knows which of them will outlast the other.