Brush for sheep

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What's the best brush for a katahdin /dorper sheep, has some light wool but he sheds so I'm trying to help. I've been using a horse body brush on him
I made my life simpler and bought a cow ‘brush’ scratching post that fit over a pipe pounded deeply down into the ground. The sheep don’t have to be handled and they dearly love going for a scratch. It has given us some very hilarious video watching them bob their butt back and forth for 20 minutes! Of course it is necessary to check for fly strike in Summer and make sure that is not the cause of their itch but if they have this silly satisfied look and their movement doesn’t smack of desperation..they are just having a good time getting a spot they can’t otherwise reach.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have one of those also. Bought it from a 4-H kid whose granddad owned a company that did street sweeping. He was selling the used brushes for $75 at a show one year to raise money to buy his flock. Bought one but haven't put it up on a post yet. It is about 4-5' long and 28" in diameter. Very heavy! They ignore it. if it was up on a post, Josie the Mule would probably like it!

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have one of those also. Bought it from a 4-H kid whose granddad owned a company that did street sweeping. He was selling the used brushes for $75 at a show one year to raise money to buy his flock. Bought one but haven't put it up on a post yet. It is about 4-5' long and 28" in diameter. Very heavy! They ignore it. if it was up on a post, Josie the Mule would probably like it!
We do have one ewe that ignores the post and heads to the grain feeder trough and sways back and forth rubbing her chest and forelegs on the end with the silliest look of satisfaction on her sweet face. In our meat flock barn all of the ewes who were sleeping in the barn have joined the one single ewe that has refused steadfastly to come in the barn for any reason. They instead are opting to sleep, play, stand in the mud and just come in to eat. I just pulled my video trail cam out of the barn to check the last two weeks of activities to see what in the world they are up to at night! It is deep snow and mud outside and the inside is soft dry hay and food…they are confusing me. The main flock is in the other part and wont go out into the snow or mud further than about 2 feet…then pop right back in. I’m sure the camera from in there will be equally enlightening!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol::lol: You never know what is in a sheep's mind. Crazy that they all decided to follow that one outside. She must have superb leadership potential!

Latest posts