Buck not breeding ???

Brownie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I recently got a male rabbit from a rescue they said he wasn't neutered but im not to sure because he is super friendly with me and any rabbit I put him with but never tries to mount and I know its a make I looked at his penis and I felt were his testicles should go and there's the skin but it kinda feels empty is it possible for him to tuck his testicles up in his stomach? He is a gorgeous california buck and is super sweet I would love for him to reproduce

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd guess he may have been neutered before he got to the rescue. Just because they didn't neuter him, doesn't mean he wasn't neutered before he got there.

Usually there's testes in the hanging sac, if it's just empty skin, more than likely he got neutered somewhere along the line. But, I'm not a vet, don't even play one on TV, so my opinion means nothing.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely a possibility of him being neutered but yes they can hide their testicles, suck them up. But the scrotum usually can be found.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sneaky rabbits! Who knew!

If they hide their testicles, is it a randomly occurring event or is it more of a condition? I've heard of 'non-descended' testicles (we got our little ram sheepie because he's not likely to be fertile since neither of his 'descended') so if a rabbit did the same thing, would they still be fertile?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a "suck them up, Feeling stressed thing" so when they want and yes they should still be fertile, even if he's a cryptochid or undescended.
FYI your male sheep 100% needs fertility checked if you have ewes.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We just have two sheep, Cypress and Flower. Flower is a 'proper' ewe, being the correct size and all. She had a 'singleton' lamb in her original herd so she was taken out of the breeding program and sold to me. Cypress is not only probably not fertile, but he's a runt, too, which is why he was never considered for breeding. He was a little smaller than Flower when they arrived, but he's grown a bit now but he's still a bit smaller than she is. I forget their ages, although that's written on their pedigrees. They're both fairly young, though, as far as sheep ages go. If Cypress manages to be a real ram and Flower has lambs, that would be fun, but if they don't, that's okay, too.