Buck not eating

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning folks,
I have a senior buck that will be 2 in January.
For the last couple days he has not eaten, barely drank, and doesn't move around much.
I would like to do something before it goes on much longer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Dave

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he still pooping ok or has that stopped as well? GI stasis has similar indications - lethargy, no eating or drinking. Just an idea, I'm not good at diagnosing bunnies, but with horses that colic they act much the same way. Seems like GI stasis and colic are similar, it's a gas and lack of poop (and or intestinal blockage) output that makes them feel like crap.
I read something this morning that said infant milicon drops help, and pedialyte for dehydration. They also suggest lactated ringers for rehydrating if they're in bad shape - not sure if you can get those as I find they are difficult since they are a RX only, even within my field of work, but I sometimes get my hands on them. You can give those SubQ in the excess skin on the back of the neck - it bubbles up and looks ugly but it goes down fast as they absorb it.

I'd check his temp too, if he's colder than normal (101-103) that's a pretty good indication.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could try rose leaves to tempt your buck to eat. You don't need to strip the leaves off the cane, just trim a little off your rose bush.

The second thing I do when I have a rabbit go off feed is to put white Karo syrup (or the store brand alternative) in the water bottle. You want enough to make the water sweet.

Let us know how he is doing, please and thank you.

Reactions: TAH

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check temp, at this point not much can be done. Not a good scenario when they refuse to eat. GI stasis has probably set in at this point, meaning his gut isn't moving anything. It's really a side effect to the cause of whatever stopped him eating.
Might try some greens, get things moving but then may have diarrhea. In any case lots of tlc is needed.