Buck or Doe???

azfarmgirl

Just born
Reaction score
We had a neutered pet rabbit that lived to be ten years old. He died a few years ago when my youngest son was four. Now my son is eight, and wants to show rabbits in 4-H. I have been reading that bucks have more of a personality than does, but was cautioned to stay away from them because they spray everywhere. Our previous rabbit didn't have that problem because he was neutered. It is my understanding that if we want to show rabbits they cannot be altered. So, is spraying as big of a problem as my friend suggested? Should I stay away from the bucks, and go with a doe? What has your experience been?

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I was little (about 4 or 5), we had a buck and a doe. I remember the doe as being more active and friendly than the buck, but I don't remember the buck spraying at all! As far as not being altered for showing, I don't know. Never shown before....

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
azfarmgirl said:
We had a neutered pet rabbit that lived to be ten years old. He died a few years ago when my youngest son was four. Now my son is eight, and wants to show rabbits in 4-H. I have been reading that bucks have more of a personality than does, but was cautioned to stay away from them because they spray everywhere. Our previous rabbit didn't have that problem because he was neutered. It is my understanding that if we want to show rabbits they cannot be altered. So, is spraying as big of a problem as my friend suggested? Should I stay away from the bucks, and go with a doe? What has your experience been?
To show a rabbit has to be intact... ( un neutered) Maybe Your 4H has a Pet class, then perhaps a neutered animal might be allowed.

A buck "usually" sprays if there are does present that he finds interesting... If You do not have any female rabbits around he 'should' be fine. Does can get quite tempermental ( not all but a Lot of them do) when they would like to be bred. I would think that almost any rabbit... given lots of attention... would have quite the personality ! lol.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I have an intact holland lop buck. He's an indoor rabbit and he doesn't spray. We got him about 1.5 years ago and he came trained to a litter box...which is nice because it makes cage clean-up a lot easier.

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i ALWAYS suggest a buck for house pets, i dunno, my experience has always been males are much more blaanced, no hormonal shifts like does go through and just love bugs. of all my buns in the rabbitry my bucks are deifnatly the mushes! (all my buns are sweet but my bucks are even sweeter!)

it has been my experience that intact bucks typically only spray if theres "territorial" issues (ie another male bun in the house) or if theres females within smelling distance that interst him. so by keeping him as a single house bunny, i dont think spraying is realy that much of a problem...and you could aways show him for a while THEN neuter him once hes won all his ribbons :D

SarahMelisse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
PinkFox said:
i ALWAYS suggest a buck for house pets, i dunno, my experience has always been males are much more blaanced, no hormonal shifts like does go through and just love bugs. of all my buns in the rabbitry my bucks are deifnatly the mushes! (all my buns are sweet but my bucks are even sweeter!)

it has been my experience that intact bucks typically only spray if theres "territorial" issues (ie another male bun in the house) or if theres females within smelling distance that interst him. so by keeping him as a single house bunny, i dont think spraying is realy that much of a problem...and you could aways show him for a while THEN neuter him once hes won all his ribbons :D
Well said! I agree completely.

azfarmgirl

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone,

Our last rabbit was a male, and he was awesome. I think we will find another male rabbit to bring home. We are looking in to two breeds of rabbits, a Champagne D'Argent or a Harlequin. There is a breeder of Champagne D'Argent 30 minutes from my house. We were going to meet with her today so I could see the breeding herd, but it's snowing. :( I can't wait. One of her does just had a litter, and they will be available in five to six weeks. The Harlequin rabbits are four hours away, and they also have kits that will be ready in five to six weeks. The breeds are completely opposite of each other, and I like them both. Can't decide which one I like the best. Oh, decisions!

PINKFOX: I was actually thinking the same thing, having him neutered after we are done showing him.

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have about 7 does and 4 bucks currently, all of which are not spayed or neutered. I find that my bucks are much more friendlier than my does. One of my rabbits sprays when you go near him, but my other bucks seem fine and I don't have any problems with that. I would say it doesn't really matter what you get because both genders come with their own problems.

Latest posts