Buck Rag not Working

Shedinator

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll remember starting this thread, unlike my last one :).

I haven't been seeing signs of heat in my girls, so I got a buck Rag 3 weeks ago. I've exposed them to it every day with no reaction. They're almost 10 months, made breeding weight, and cleared by the vet. I'm not sure what to do, but am still really hoping to get them bred this season. Would love your advice.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not the most experienced goat person on here but make sure they are consuming minerals, sometimes changing brand will help. Also, a shot of BoSe is something I’ve heard of that helps.

I have no idea about buck rags. Our only issue is detecting heat on some of our does. We have bucks. Is it possible that they are cycling and you aren’t catching it?

Shedinator

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not the most experienced goat person on here but make sure they are consuming minerals, sometimes changing brand will help. Also, a shot of BoSe is something I’ve heard of that helps.

I have no idea about buck rags. Our only issue is detecting heat on some of our does. We have bucks. Is it possible that they are cycling and you aren’t catching it?

It's certainly possible. I was hoping the buck rag would make it improbable, though :)

They're eating mineral well, and doing great in general. Does BoSe specifically help with coming into heat?

DwarfDaddy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I’m wondering if you have one of those does that needs to actually be in the presence of a buck to come into heat? The buck rag may not be enough. Also, perhaps she could be coming into heat and it could be really short (a few hours) and easy to miss? Have you seen any signs at all? (eg, wet around rear end?). I don’t know if it’s practical for you, but could you possibly just keep her with a buck in the same area for awhile, to allow more than enough time for a cycle or two to pass? I know it’s not ideal, because you’d prefer to know exactly when she’s bred, but it may be better than missing the chance to get her pregnant. Do you have an area set up where that could be do-able?

Shedinator

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’m wondering if you have one of those does that needs to actually be in the presence of a buck to come into heat? The buck rag may not be enough. Also, perhaps she could be coming into heat and it could be really short (a few hours) and easy to miss? Have you seen any signs at all? (eg, wet around rear end?). I don’t know if it’s practical for you, but could you possibly just keep her with a buck in the same area for awhile, to allow more than enough time for a cycle or two to pass? I know it’s not ideal, because you’d prefer to know exactly when she’s bred, but it may be better than missing the chance to get her pregnant. Do you have an area set up where that could be do-able?

I was just about to give an update...

So yesterday I noticed that when I put the buck rag under her nose, her tail went up, and when I took it away, it went down. Since she'd never done that before, I decided to give it a go and took her to the buck that night.

Soon as she saw him she started flagging, squatting, and peeing... but he sniffed her and did all the preliminaries and didn't try to mount her. We had them together for about 30 minutes. I don't know if we showed up a little too late, or a little too early, or what, but no joy.

I would very much like to just put her in with a buck for a few weeks, but can't find anyone around here who offers bucks for anything other than driveway dates. Don't suppose you know anyone? :)

DwarfDaddy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was just about to give an update...

So yesterday I noticed that when I put the buck rag under her nose, her tail went up, and when I took it away, it went down. Since she'd never done that before, I decided to give it a go and took her to the buck that night.

Soon as she saw him she started flagging, squatting, and peeing... but he sniffed her and did all the preliminaries and didn't try to mount her. We had them together for about 30 minutes. I don't know if we showed up a little too late, or a little too early, or what, but no joy.

I would very much like to just put her in with a buck for a few weeks, but can't find anyone around here who offers bucks for anything other than driveway dates. Don't suppose you know anyone? :)

Sorry don’t know a source in CT. We keep several bucks of our own. They can be stinky and aggressive, but they’re available at breeding time. It also avoids the risk of spreading disease by sharing bucks between herds. When we have done it, we usually leave our doe at a good friends farm for breeding when we know them well and trust the health of their herd. Even then, good to keep her isolated from the other goats except the one buck. If you get to make some good friends at farms near you, then maybe they’ll be more comfortable loaning their bucks for longer. We loan goats back and forth (very selectively) with our good friends for free as a favor. What town are you in?

Shedinator

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry don’t know a source in CT. We keep several bucks of our own. They can be stinky and aggressive, but they’re available at breeding time. It also avoids the risk of spreading disease by sharing bucks between herds. When we have done it, we usually leave our doe at a good friends farm for breeding when we know them well and trust the health of their herd. Even then, good to keep her isolated from the other goats except the one buck. If you get to make some good friends at farms near you, then maybe they’ll be more comfortable loaning their bucks for longer. We loan goats back and forth (very selectively) with our good friends for free as a favor. What town are you in?

Bethany.

I have friends with goats, but they've all got just does as well, and haven't had issues with driveway breeding taking.