1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Buck who sprays and digs?

Discussion in 'Behavior and Handling Techniques - Rabbits' started by mygoldendoe, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Dec 21, 2016
    mygoldendoe

mygoldendoe Loving the herd life

I gotta buck who sprays just bout every time I go out to check them. Which I can deal with except he sprays me several times while I'm out there. He also digs at the bottom of the cage..I know spraying is normal but is the spraying frequently before I even leave his area normal? Is digging normal for bucks?

Baymule likes this.
  2. Dec 21, 2016
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

How old is he? Young bucks spray ALL THE TIME. He is just really adamant about his territory. The digging is more of a doe thing, but it isnt that abnormal for a buck.

3. Dec 21, 2016
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Some bucks aren't bad about spraying, with others it's like a hobby. I usually make a point of putting young bucks in cages closer to the floor, so at least they can't spray me in the face!

But as for the digging - oh, sure, bucks dig. Sounds like a bored rabbit to me.

4. Dec 21, 2016
    mygoldendoe

I have no idea his exact age, when we brought him home we had to start with the water bowl bc he didn't know how to use the metal ball type feeders. Couple weeks he figured it out..I didn't even consider him to be bored lol. I insulate with fall leaves and give sticks so I didn't consider him to be bored or playing in it. :oops: O Lord I feel silly

5. Nov 19, 2017
    birdfreaks

birdfreaks Just born

bucks are usually really inclined to dig & spray. i had one buck who'd kick his legs up & spray urine as high as my face. it's normal. they can't resist to do either, i wouldn't take his behavior too personally. while i haven't ever had one spray while i was holding him, fair to say as soon as you let them down you can count down from 5 and more than likely, they'll spray.

6. Nov 19, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I had a spoiled black Satin buck at the front of my barn that sprayed if I walked by and didn't open his cage and pet him. Brat. An oreo cookie was a good bribe. I finally moved him to the back of the barn and made sure to open the cage and pet him.

7. Nov 25, 2017
    mygoldendoe

Lowering his cage below everyone elses helped out greatly! but he's since been processed