Buck who sprays and digs?

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I gotta buck who sprays just bout every time I go out to check them. Which I can deal with except he sprays me several times while I'm out there. He also digs at the bottom of the cage..I know spraying is normal but is the spraying frequently before I even leave his area normal? Is digging normal for bucks?

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old is he? Young bucks spray ALL THE TIME. He is just really adamant about his territory. The digging is more of a doe thing, but it isnt that abnormal for a buck.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some bucks aren't bad about spraying, with others it's like a hobby. I usually make a point of putting young bucks in cages closer to the floor, so at least they can't spray me in the face!

But as for the digging - oh, sure, bucks dig. Sounds like a bored rabbit to me.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have no idea his exact age, when we brought him home we had to start with the water bowl bc he didn't know how to use the metal ball type feeders. Couple weeks he figured it out..I didn't even consider him to be bored lol. I insulate with fall leaves and give sticks so I didn't consider him to be bored or playing in it. :oops: O Lord I feel silly

birdfreaks

Just born
Reaction score
bucks are usually really inclined to dig & spray. i had one buck who'd kick his legs up & spray urine as high as my face. it's normal. they can't resist to do either, i wouldn't take his behavior too personally. while i haven't ever had one spray while i was holding him, fair to say as soon as you let them down you can count down from 5 and more than likely, they'll spray.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a spoiled black Satin buck at the front of my barn that sprayed if I walked by and didn't open his cage and pet him. Brat. An oreo cookie was a good bribe. I finally moved him to the back of the barn and made sure to open the cage and pet him.

Latest posts