Buckets freezing issue?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I'd been using the typical 5 gallon buckets for water on my animals. They are the most economical and for most things they've always performed well.

Until winter...

They have a tendency to freeze through when it gets really cold. But to be fair most everything else does to.

But this has me wondering if the wider black feed containers are less likely to freeze than 5 gallon buckets? What do you think about this?

I'm sure many of you have seen them. A thicker grade plastic container, usually black and sold at farming stores. They are always pretty harshly over priced compared to normal buckets, which is why I didn't buy them before. But the freezing issue, I wonder if that has to do with it?

Curious what you think about this?

Its pretty cold here at 6:30 AM when I go out to feed the ducks. I just spent a good 15 minutes hacking ice out of the buckets using a garden hoe.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The thing about freezing water buckets is to have a bucket larger than the freeze. Say that three times fast. There just isn't enough volume in a 5 gallon bucket to keep the bucket from freezing.

We use Rubbermaid stock tanks, I think they are 100 gallon size, with both our Muscovys and Embden geese. They love them. I like the tanks for various reasons especially in the winter when we do freeze. Yep it even happens in Texas. We take a sledge hammer and crack the ice first thing in the morning and then I rake out the ice later in the morning. Silly birds eat the ice. Go figure.

Yeah Rubbermaid is not cheap, but I found this at Tractor Supply and it looks like it would work for the same purpose, at an easier price, too.
2229862.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the TSC 100 gal waterer shown above better than Rubbermaid. The rubbermaid ones will crack if handled roughly, these are much more forgiving.

The heavier fortex ones that I think you are referring to are made of a rubber/plastic that is much more flexible. Won't crack in most cases like a 5 gal bucket. Also black in the winter will absorb the sun better and if it does freeze, you can turn it upside down and the ice will come out easier. Plus it will absorb the heat and actually melt the ice if not too solid during the day. To me the black ones are worth it in the winter. Also depends on what you are watering and how many like @animalmom said.
Another trick. Put about a cup of salt in a 1 gal jug and fill no more than 2/3 with water. Put the lid on tight. Float it in the tubs and it will help to slow down the freezing. Salt water freezes at colder temps, and the jug will bob around with the animals pushing on it and it helps to keep the water "open" longer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next -- if you do freeze and need to break with a hammer or such...don't hit side of container with the thrust. Some will break or crack. Certainly the larger container works better at having just tops or sides iced, not center. The salt water jug allows them to push it and drink, esp if large animals. You can also build a surround for the tank. Put a top on with hole cut to drink. Helps with wind, which causes a lot of the issue in such weather.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I like the TSC 100 gal waterer shown above better than Rubbermaid. The rubbermaid ones will crack if handled roughly, these are much more forgiving.

The heavier fortex ones that I think you are referring to are made of a rubber/plastic that is much more flexible. Won't crack in most cases like a 5 gal bucket. Also black in the winter will absorb the sun better and if it does freeze, you can turn it upside down and the ice will come out easier. Plus it will absorb the heat and actually melt the ice if not too solid during the day. To me the black ones are worth it in the winter. Also depends on what you are watering and how many like @animalmom said.
Another trick. Put about a cup of salt in a 1 gal jug and fill no more than 2/3 with water. Put the lid on tight. Float it in the tubs and it will help to slow down the freezing. Salt water freezes at colder temps, and the jug will bob around with the animals pushing on it and it helps to keep the water "open" longer.

I accidentally shattered one of these 5 gallon buckets on an icy morning. I was just trying to tap it on the ground to get the ice shook free and didn't realize I'd put too much pressure. And...the plastic can act like glass when its cold enough.

Thanks for your thoughts, and to others also.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The thing about freezing water buckets is to have a bucket larger than the freeze. Say that three times fast. There just isn't enough volume in a 5 gallon bucket to keep the bucket from freezing.

We use Rubbermaid stock tanks, I think they are 100 gallon size, with both our Muscovys and Embden geese. They love them. I like the tanks for various reasons especially in the winter when we do freeze. Yep it even happens in Texas. We take a sledge hammer and crack the ice first thing in the morning and then I rake out the ice later in the morning. Silly birds eat the ice. Go figure.

Yeah Rubbermaid is not cheap, but I found this at Tractor Supply and it looks like it would work for the same purpose, at an easier price, too.
View attachment 79303

Thank you.

Sounds fun to pick your mind on Embden geese too. They are so pretty in pictures. I'm curious what its like raising them. Are they as loud as people say? I'd heard people say some geese breeds aren't as loud as others.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Embden can be loud, but they are not loud often. They are not chatty like chickens. They seem to get get honky when they are mating (the ganders rooting on the male and the girls commiserating with the goose)... at least mine are that way. I like them. They are quite majestic looking.

I love my Moscovys. They are quiet. The females trill and the males make a raspy hiss. They are the animals closest to the house and I do not hear them when I am in the house. The geese are the opposite. They are farther from the house and I do, on occasion, hear them in the house. But, keep in mind the geese are easily 2 to 3 times the size of the ducks.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I'd been using the typical 5 gallon buckets for water on my animals. They are the most economical and for most things they've always performed well.

Until winter...

They have a tendency to freeze through when it gets really cold. But to be fair most everything else does to.

But this has me wondering if the wider black feed containers are less likely to freeze than 5 gallon buckets? What do you think about this?

I'm sure many of you have seen them. A thicker grade plastic container, usually black and sold at farming stores. They are always pretty harshly over priced compared to normal buckets, which is why I didn't buy them before. But the freezing issue, I wonder if that has to do with it?

Curious what you think about this?

Its pretty cold here at 6:30 AM when I go out to feed the ducks. I just spent a good 15 minutes hacking ice out of the buckets using a garden hoe.

They too freeze but one is able to just flip them and thunk them on the bottom to get the ice to pop out....so much easier than any other type of container.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Embden can be loud, but they are not loud often. They are not chatty like chickens. They seem to get get honky when they are mating (the ganders rooting on the male and the girls commiserating with the goose)... at least mine are that way. I like them. They are quite majestic looking.

I love my Moscovys. They are quiet. The females trill and the males make a raspy hiss. They are the animals closest to the house and I do not hear them when I am in the house. The geese are the opposite. They are farther from the house and I do, on occasion, hear them in the house. But, keep in mind the geese are easily 2 to 3 times the size of the ducks.

Do people ever complain on the geese?

How likely is it to get complaints from neighbors with geese?

I like the look of the pretty Embdens too; though I don't have any.

Thanks for the chance to learn from you.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neighbors???? Nah, we are fortunate to not have human neighbors. Our closest is 5 miles away. The dairy cows that border our property have not yet complained about the geese although I do hear their guardian donkey on occasion. It makes me smile, Heeee hawww, y'all.