Buckling acting strange after banding

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Griffin's Ark said:
Tetanus toxoid is slow acting... the goat will not be protected from the shot for 10 to 14 days. Anti-toxin on the other hand works immediately. One dose is all you need if your goat is up to date on their CD and T. I also keep CD anti-toxin in the house. You could give it once a day if you needed to. CD and T toxoid is not the end all save all. Keep the anti-toxin on hand for any emergency and don't be afraid to use it. It won't hurt your animal, but it might save it.

Chris
I agree that CD and Tetanus anti-toxins are a must-have for the medicine cabinet, and I know how they work.. Knowing how they work is what threw me, frankly.

I think I see where things went off the rails, though.. When you said you never tagged or banded "without tetanus anti-toxin," I thought you meant that you always administered tetanus anti-toxin at the time those procedures were done.. Now, however, I'm thinking you meant that you didn't do those things without having it on hand in case someone set up a tetanus infection..

What I didn't get was why someone would immediately administer a quick acting, short-lived anti-toxin at the time of banding or tagging when it would certainly be long metabolized and gone by the time any potential tetanus infection set up..

I get it now...I think..?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Griffin's Ark said:
Tetanus toxoid is slow acting... the goat will not be protected from the shot for 10 to 14 days. Anti-toxin on the other hand works immediately. One dose is all you need if your goat is up to date on their CD and T. I also keep CD anti-toxin in the house. You could give it once a day if you needed to. CD and T toxoid is not the end all save all. Keep the anti-toxin on hand for any emergency and don't be afraid to use it. It won't hurt your animal, but it might save it.

Chris
I agree that CD and Tetanus anti-toxins are a must-have for the medicine cabinet, and I know how they work.. Knowing how they work is what threw me, frankly.

I think I see where things went off the rails, though.. When you said you never tagged or banded "without tetanus anti-toxin," I thought you meant that you always administered tetanus anti-toxin at the time those procedures were done.. Now, however, I'm thinking you meant that you didn't do those things without having it on hand in case someone set up a tetanus infection..

What I didn't get was why someone would immediately administer a quick acting, short-lived anti-toxin at the time of banding or tagging when it would certainly be long metabolized and gone by the time any potential tetanus infection set up..

I get it now...I think..?
Maybe it's time to move on to a new topic?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Maybe it's time to move on to a new topic?
Well...I'd kinda like to give the person I was having a conversation with an opportunity to tell me whether I finally understood what he was saying or not..

Afterall, if there's a good reason I should be administering tetanus anti-toxin at the time of banding, tagging, or disbudding, I'd kinda like to know what that reason is.. Maybe it'll save me a goat someday.

I don't really see a problem here...?

Edited for posterity:

According to information gleaned from another thread and various other sources thereafter, I was apparently dead-wrong about how quickly tetanus anti-toxin wears off. It apparently gives protection for 10-14 days, so it makes absolute sense not only to have it, but to administer it when tagging/banding/disbudding/etc.