Buckling acting strange after banding

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nick was banded Sunday morning about 10:30. He's urinating and pooping. He's pooping a lot and the berries are in clumps. Plus, he just stands there looking ill. The breeder said he'd be like that for a few hours, but it's been over a day and, if anything, he's acting worse. He has eaten. Not as much or as vigorously as before. He perks up only for animal crackers but barely. He used to be very lively and mischievous and very demonstrative. Molly looked very passive next to him, but now she seems like the lively one. He does not have a fever.
Is this normal for bucklings to behave so after banding. I read from so many goats owners that the discomfort lasts only a few hours. Is there something wrong with my baby? I'm worried about him.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
its not normal, and I'd be having an experienced breeder or vet give him a quick check up :)

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is not normal at all. I agree he needs to go to the vet asap. I would check the external band area and see if there isn't extra skin or even one of his teats...caught in the band. Something isn't right with that little guy. Good Luck...keep us posted.

Rockytopsis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't see how banding would cause clumping poo. Has there been a feed change or when was the last time he was wormed.

I do agree that the band should be checked. We check ours daily till the dingle falls off.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My feeling is the change in faeces is a stress response.

I do think checking the band daily is overkill.

For newbies, I usually say, put the band on, and dont look at that area for a month. Because honestly, it can get kinda messy, but its normal and people tend to panic if they see it looking a bit gooey.

Only time I check the band is if a wether appears off colour, like this one obviously is.

Jojo, I'd be wondering about a teat also, I've also seen one where the penis was caught up in the band, not a healthy happy goat that one.

Rockytopsis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry, not a newbie here and I don't think it is overkill. We handle the boys daily so might as well check while we have them.

The band should never get "messy" and there should not be any "goo" there. Messy and goo indicates a problem.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
His response might be stress related which causes his stools to clump. He should not be acting too strange after the first 1/2 day. Might want to have him checked as he should not be in pain but something is making him very uncomfortable. Good luck with him!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rockytopsis said:
Sorry, not a newbie here and I don't think it is overkill. We handle the boys daily so might as well check while we have them.

The band should never get "messy" and there should not be any "goo" there. Messy and goo indicates a problem.
I agree. Any time we do any procedure like banding, the boys are checked regularly to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is going on. I've never had any mess or goo here on our banded boys either.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm not saying you are a newbie.

I'm just saying, I literally band hundreds of lambs and kids each year, and it is not uncommon at all for there to be a bit of goop and muck under the band, when the scrotum begins to separate from the abdominal skin. Its natural.

Tell you what, I have some bands on now, I'll take some pictures for you in the morning. I'm not sure whether they are at detachment stage yet, probably not. I've got very recently applied, and long time ago. Not sure whether the long time ago are still hanging on or whether they've fallen off yet. But in any case, I'll get some pics for you.

I'd estimate the rate of problem (ie infection) in bands is around 1% or less. Not exactly a common problem, so really all the paranoia about checking bands every day really isnt necessary.

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got back from taking Nick to the vet. Except for a slight fever, the vet said he was fine. He said the banding looked good and he seemed healthy otherwise. He gave Nick a prescription for fever and pain. I feel better now. My DH thinks I worry too much, but, hey, I'm his mommy, that's what we do!