Buckling has abnormal horn after disbudding-Advice needed please!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks bad. I'm not sure what's going on there from the photo, but it's not normal at all. Also, it looks like the horn on the other side will need to be done again, it looks like it is growing back in. That's a really poor disbudding job. :/ Going to the vet is probably a wise choice, I'm not sure I'd let the breeder try again after seeing that, yikes. I'd hold off on banding him a while, he doesn't need any added stress. I think you just got unlucky with the horn problem; coccidia is unfortunately a problem a lot of us have to deal with every year. Putting kids on a preventative treatment plan before they get sick should help out with any future babies.

MissDanni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ouch! I know nothing about dis-budding as all mine have horns so I'm no help to you. But I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out well for you both. :hugs

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree, don't band until he's 100%. Let us know what the vet says! Hopefully (s)he can can him all fixed up for you.

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will let you know what the vet says. I wish I could bring him today, but the office is closed due to the holiday and I can't afford an emergency call. I'll keep it disinfected until then.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with all the others, that does not look right. I've only had three dis budded, am brand new to this also, but will be watching to see what happens, sorry you're going through this, bad experience for you but certainly a learning experience for us all. Thanks for posting this. Keep us up to date.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
I would say that the one is infected. I would also reburn after he has recovered and it has been 6-9 wks from first burn. Obviously I would find someone else to do the reburn. A vet is a wonderful idea. ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please let us know what the vet says. I have 2 kids that have horn buds just like that and they are not infected (not saying yours are not). I just did a really bad burn job on these two as I am just learning how to do them and pretty much a chicken. The horns are just growing in like a normal horn would, only a little slower and with some scabs on them from the burning I did. They pretty much look like your kid does.

I am not saying that yours is just a bad burn job, and it is good that you are taking him to the vet. All my friends that have looked at mine say that at this point I would have to have a vet remove them, so it is a good choice for you no matter what. It is MUCH better to deal with the horns now that when they are older. I did that and will never go down that road again. If I don't get the horns off as kids they are staying.

Good luck with your kid and I hope it is something simple.

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I bought my two goats at 2 weeks of age, the were disbudded.
They were scabbing and bleeding, when playing...
I just kept on cleaning and putting ointment on....

From the very beginning, one goat horns didn't feel right.
There were bulges similar to yours! I would say, almost exact as yours!
Only that wasn't that bloody.
One horn had bigger growth and one horn have smaller growth.

While one of my goats started healing and her head flattening, the other one started to have noticeable horns!
One horn was/is like almost normal; the other one is totally different.
SEE PICTURE

I'm accepting this the way it is. I won't put my goat into more stress and pain.

I'm not much help to you, but at least you can see an example of the horns that your goat will grow shortly.
Now it depends on you, if you can accept your goat the way it will be?
I accepted my and love her the same.

4124_horns-molly.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a wether that has a scur (horn) that we have to keep cut. If we let it grow it would curl around right into his eye. The scur on the other side gets knocked off all the time. We just keep it trimmed enough so that it doesn't cause him any problems.

My buck also had scurs, but much worse since he is a buck. Since I wanted to show him (never did) I had the "horn" removed. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN, and he still has a small scur.

Horns can be hard on feeders and fences but an electric fence can keep them out of the fence and feeder choices can be made that won't be a problem. I hate disbudding, but with dairy does that may end up in a show ring I have no other options. I have two that are polled and they sometimes give my polled kids, I wish they old were that way.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
I have an article on my blog about disbudding (with a video) if you want to learn how to do it. The scur-horns are not necessary if you disbud properly. I know several here do not do it like I do. However, I have never had a scur-horn. If you want to know how to remove the scur-horns PM me. I would be glad to help. ;)

Latest posts