Bug egg ID

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the bug that came out of these eggs. All of the eggs were on the soil surface and hidden by cabbage leaves. I've been gardening for a lot of years but this is the first time I've seen them laid on the soil like that and if nothing else thought they made for interesting pictures.

Bug eggs.JPG
Bug eggs2.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would guess Anolis carolinensis. Carolina Anole or common green lizard.
A good one to have around.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do have a bunch of green lizards this year. Last year just a few but quite a number of them this year.

Come to think of it I heard something rustling around under the cabbage leaves a couple of weeks ago. I got side tracked and didn't look into it but figured it was a lizard or a frog (which we have a lot of).

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually they look like some kind of tiny little cup mushrooms...

That is what they are. We sent the picture to a friend of ours who is literally a walking encyclopedia plus he is a plant pathologist.

This is actually a good thing to have in the garden.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/birds-nest-fungus.htm

What is Bird’s Nest Fungus? Soil and organic debris are full of all kinds of marvelous natural composters. One of them, the bird’s nest fungus, is also a master of mimicry. It has the appearance of a cup-shaped nest with little spheres inside that resemble eggs. In fact, the spheres are the method through which the organism reproduces itself. Whenever I see one of these little nests in my bark mulch, it makes me smile. They are magical little organisms with a unique reproductive strategy and wonderful composting abilities. Finding bird’s nest fungus in mulch is a common sight, as the fungi lives off the organic substrate and turns it into rich soil. The cup shape is actually the fruiting body of the fungus and holds the lentil-shaped peridioles that contain the spores which are the basis of the saprophyte’s reproduction. Bird’s nest fungi in gardens are common in moist, cool locations primarily in fall. Their preferred locations are rich soil, animal feces, decaying wood and plant debris. Life Cycle and Benefits of Bird’s Nest Fungi Bird’s nest fungi in gardens catch rain or irrigation water in the little fruiting cups, which are about ¼ inch in diameter. The splash of the water ejects the peridioles 3 to 4 feet, hopefully into hospitable terrain. They have a sticky membrane which catches onto a plant stalk, side of the house or whatever is nearby and adhere. Once the peridiole dries, it releases the spore. As a saphrophyte, bird’s nest fungi break down organic waste matter into rich compost. They take nutrients from the material and cause decomposition to increase nearly two fold. This means cleanup of the garden is much quicker with fungi and other decomposers in the landscape. Bird’s nest fungus in heavy bark mulch is especially helpful. They help reduce large chunks into easy to break down slivers that help enrich the soil and increase tilth. Getting Rid of Bird’s Nest Fungus The fungus doesn’t harm any living plants or organisms and assist in the important cycle of soil renewal. For this reason, getting rid of bird’s nest fungus is not necessary for the health of your garden. However, if the sticky fruiting bodies adhere to siding or other items, they can be difficult to remove. In this case, bird’s nest fungus control should consist of repelling tactics. Reduce irrigation in areas of concern and rake the soil to disturb the organisms. You may also elect to install living mulch such as ivy or vinca, which will keep the fungus from taking hold of the debris underneath the thick mat of vegetation. As a rule, fungicides are not recommended to remove the fungus. Simple repellent tricks are much easier and safer in the landscape.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Bird’s Nest Fungus In Gardens: Tips For Getting Rid Of Bird’s Nest Fungus https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/birds-nest-fungus.htm

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems that its "Preferred" locations sure fits right in to what ya been doing.....positive "Progress". One of these times, tho...I have to be Right...don't I?......just "Wrong" once Again.....:)