Build up in genital area

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was doing a well check on my buck (American Blue, 1yr 4mos old) and he has a large amount of build up next to his penis. Nothing by his testicles and the penis and testicles all look good, no signs of inflammation. Picture of build up included. I cleane dit up with baby wipes and then put potato starch on it to help it dry.
1- what is it?
2- is it harmful?
3- was it okay to use baby wipes?
4- was it okay to use potato starch? I couldnt find the cornstarch anywhere and I had knicked his nail which I put the potato starch on that too.

Also, his nails on the left side are all chipped and trashed and he has what appears to be rust colored leakage on that same side. My doe also has color leakage around her belly area and her ears. I saw the parents and they did not have any leakage, they were all blue. I dont know if the color leakage could contribute to the condition of his nails (bad genetics). I cant look at her nails, shes not as easy to handle.
Thank you in advance!
1630869894416.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you see any skin damage once cleaned off? If so, what description? Long scratches, etc? Holes? Several or one? Is it only on that one side? Any snags in cage wire?

I'm thinking scratches from nails possible...so trim nails. Catch doe and check her. Have they recently been in a cage together? Did it stay that color one wet from cleaning?

Ideas for your search for clues.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did you see any skin damage once cleaned off? If so, what description? Long scratches, etc? Holes? Several or one? Is it only on that one side? Any snags in cage wire?

I'm thinking scratches from nails possible...so trim nails. Catch doe and check her. Have they recently been in a cage together? Did it stay that color one wet from cleaning?

Ideas for your search for clues.
No damage at all, not even minor. It was on both sides. It seemed as if it could be crystalized urine?? Think nasty toilet, thats what it reminded me of. Sorry for that image 😂. They havent been together. I saw the babies had similar gunk when they were little, but never thought an older rabbit would have it.
Once i removed the gunk, the skin was clean and normal looking.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bucks are and can be nasty around their genitals.... I use a q tip and water and be gentle! Things just seem to accumulate in the skin folds down there. Unless I see it's super nasty I usually let them clean it up.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Someone on BYC said its his scent glands. Just proof you always learn something new everyday. I didnt know they had scent glands down there or that they excrete a waxy substance like earwax.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't know about where their scent glands are -- no rabbits -- but most animals do have.

Boys canbe dirty! Look at goats who pee all over themselves!! :lol:

Latest posts