bulk grain storage ideas

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am considering bulk grain delivery for our farm, but need to figure out storage first. For anyone else who is using bulk grain, what is your storage solution and pros/cons of the setup. Pictures would be great and details about how much you can hold in the container as well.

Ideally, I would like to have bulk storage of goat feed, 2 varieties of chicken feed, 2 varieties of horse feed, and possibly rabbit feed. 1 centralized storage area would be ok. I prefer to make stuff myself and also prefer to make it portable (as in, if we move able to take to the next farm).

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
we are using the plastic 55 gallon barrels, and cutting the top off of them, We get a ton of feed at a time (40 x 50lb bags) and each barrel can hold close to 300lbs of feed(6 bags).

But I am sure there are some wooden bins that you can make that would work for you. I have seen some nice ones at other farms.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Like 20kids, I use the 55 gal barrels, just in metal. These were food-grade barrels that held juice so no chemicals to worry about. Bought them from a person on CL. Works great and no problems with moisture damage or rodents.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a local dealer that sells 3ton silos for about $1700 delivered. I am considering 1 for chickens, 1 for horses, and 1 for goats. It would take about 3 years in savings from purchasing the bulk vs bagged feed to recover the cost. Of course, if I continue to expand the farm, I recover the cost faster...

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I already use a lot of barrels around the farm for various projects. I am really looking for something that a grain truck can fill instead of buying bags by the ton.

Roll - The freezer idea is interesting. Do you ever have problems with the bottom layer of the feezer grain being spoiled?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How long will it take you to use 3 tons of feed? Our feed mill has to have a minimum of 3 tons to deliver it in bulk, otherwise we have to buy it in bags.

If we get a bag at a time it is 11.50 right now.
if we get half a ton, 20 bags, it is a 50 cents per bag savings
and if we get 1 ton, 40 bags, it is 1 dollar per bag savings.

We don't use enough feed most of the year to justify 3 tons, It only keeps for about a month in the summer months.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our mill will deliver in 1.5 ton increments (about a 9-12 month supply) and I can mix and match various products to increase the delivery. For goat and chicken feed, buying in bulk I would save about $5 per 50lb bag.
I was looking at the 3 ton silo because it is the smallest available but still give room to exand if I add more animals.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
I have several of the heavy plastic water or industrial soap containers 250 gal I think, I am pretty sure they hold about 1/2 ton of feed but I would have to go get it several of those would work nicely I think. I like the freezer idea too.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
Our mill will deliver in 1.5 ton increments (about a 9-12 month supply) and I can mix and match various products to increase the delivery. For goat and chicken feed, buying in bulk I would save about $5 per 50lb bag.
I was looking at the 3 ton silo because it is the smallest available but still give room to exand if I add more animals.
9 to 12 months is a long time to keep feed in storage in a silo or even in bags for that matter. Have you asked your feed mill how long they would expect the feed to keep?