bulk grain storage ideas

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The feed's never spoiled in the freezer. It lasts 2-3 wks max per 'fill' and we *always* empty it before refilling, so we're never putting new on top of old.

And it keeps the mices out. :D

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would also suggest old freezers. I've seen everything from small cattle farms to horse stables to dog kennels using them. They seal so they do keep pests out and don't allow too much moisture into the feed and if the seal is tight they are nearly weather proof. All the years my grandfather had his diary cows he used them, they were kept right outside the dairy barn in a covered walkway between it and the Sugar house. I don't like idea of Silo's for horse feed storage, namely because horses are a bit more sensitive to spoiled feed than most livestock. I would worry about ordering so much unless you have a lot of horses.

Have you considered asking around and seeing if you can get another small farmer to split the grain delivery with you? You could still get the deal and not need to worry about spoilage as much or having insane storage space since you would be getting less.

Latest posts